rotator cuff after surgery-- how do you move?

sewnice50March 20, 2006

I am having rotator cuff surgery April 14..left arm. Its a bad tear. My Dr. said I will not be able to lift anything heavier than a pencil. I am worried because I am a very heavy person and just getting out of a chair requires me to use most of the muscles in my body. How can you move with out straining the surgery? What about getting in and out of bed? I am very worried about the success of this surgery.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Vickey__MN

Practice now using your other side. I didn't have a tear, but did have surgery in nov for a burr. I too am heavier. Leg muscles are used more. If you have to use mroe cushions so you use your legs more, then do that.

Vickey-MN

PS when you have the surgery, if they give you the option of having your arm numbed..do it. It wears off after about 24 hours which means no pain for 24 hours!!! You will be happy you had the surgery.

Bookmark   March 20, 2006 at 1:34PM
agnespuffin

Pratice is a very good idea. You will be surprised at what a difference it will make. I had hand and wrist surgery and practiced using just my left arm and hand for about three weeks before. By the time I needed it, I could feed myself, brush my teeth, bathe, and do a lot of my usual work. I was soooo glad I didn't wait. I would have been in a pickle not practiced.

Bookmark   March 20, 2006 at 4:45PM
oldroser

For a heavy person (and I speak from personal knowledge) getting up is easier if you lean forward with keees bent until your butt is just about off the chair and then straighten your knees. Practice doing this in a straight chair and you'll find that you need very little pushing with your arms, and maybe none at all, to rise up.

Bookmark   March 20, 2006 at 6:44PM
More Discussions
a night guard for teeth grinding, worth the money?
Many times with many different dentists it has been...
bug_girl
Anyone heard of Ageless Xtra?
Hi everyone, I usually post and lunk on the decorating...
customdecorator
Allergies
I have allergies all year around and nothing I take...
berk
Gluten-free diet may do more harm than good
I'm not sure about you but I've been hearing from friends,...
Konrad___far_north
drug addiction
I'm really worried about my son. I think he is addicted...
clairdo2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™