Wired, Next Step?

peterbogApril 21, 2006

I have installed as part of construction CAT5 wire and RG6 TV cable from lots of points in and outside the house to a central wiring closet. So now I have a billion raw wires all labeled ready for the next steps. I need to figure out how to hook up and provide power to the electonics that go on each end.

I'd like to start with security cameras. What do I need? Obviously a camera...but what fittings hook the camera to the CAT5 and/or RG6 that will supply power? Also apparently a transformer to step the voltage down - will the CAT5 carry the voltage I need, plus sound, and leave video to the RG6? Can I use a single transformer for multiple cameras?

I bought a cheap camera kit just to get a start, and what has me confused is that it came with like 50 feet of cable and instructions to hook it up with that cable. I want/need to use the CAT5 and RG6 I installed for this purpose cause there is no way I'm going to try and pull their cable through the completed construction to the wiring closet.

Is there a good detailed reference book I can/should get, or web site I should study that will provide information on these type questions?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gsenthil

Checkout russound systems. More info on this type of whole house audio/video distribution can be researched at AVSForum

Here is a link that might be useful: AVSForum Home Integration and Distribution

Bookmark   April 27, 2006 at 12:23AM
More Discussions
best universall remote for plasma/cd player/radio, etc.
Finally got our beautiful/great sounding(looks/sound...
bafeuer
Wireless cable/satellite boxes?
We are planning on putting our TV above our gas fireplace....
broston2
Speaker Placement for multiple watching configurations
We have a minor dilemma about where to put our speakers. Our...
Fynite
DVR with disk burner?
I'd like to buy a hard disk recorder to record over...
ionized_gw
Nielson Ratings
Has anyone been chosen to do the Neilson Ratings? I...
berk
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™