Bruce Dundee Plank? Appalachian Red Oak? Maine Traditions? Help!

miss_darcyJuly 24, 2012

So, we selected Maine Traditions Red Birch. We loved it. The designer loved it. The flooring installer saw our dog and shrieked, "Don't do it!"

We are looking at Bruce Dundee Plank because a friend has it (but no pets). However, all of the poor Bruce reviews make me nervous.

We also have a sample of Appalachian Red Oak (Canadian) that looks very similar. Priced maybe $1.00 higher than Bruce.

The lumber place also recommends Maine Traditions and Somerset.

Any advice and/or photos would be extremely appreciated. The dog is pretty small---maybe 25 pounds---but he does love to chase after the cat. Thanks!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DanG4

I worked for Bruce for many yrs. While I can't recall each style the finish is very durable on the factory finished flooring. The problem is if the graining is very clear, like in a maple- it will magnify each little scratch and scuff. If the grain has a bit of character like a rustic oak, you will hardly see any scratches. The good news is if you do pick a product and the scratches bother you its easy to recoat without resanding the floors and some people change to a matte finish if the original had a gloss finish. You can also buy 'booties' for the dog or nail guards.

Bookmark   July 27, 2012 at 12:37PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
miss_darcy

Thanks---that helps a lot!

Bookmark   July 27, 2012 at 5:39PM
More Discussions
Need help getting ink/marker off hard wood flooring
Anyone had a child mark on their hardwood floors with...
mattsarmymom
Somerset Country Hardwood Made in China
After ordering 1650 sf of Somerset Country hardwood,...
blondie859111
Is it a bad idea to use pebble tiles in the kitchen?
I am wondering if pebble tiles work ok in the kitchen...
sherry0117
Difference visually between 1/8 and 3/16 grout joints?
We're thinking 1/8 but the installer is suggesting...
joep_2009
Bamboo flooring from LL bad odor
I purchased morning star bamboo strand click flooring...
rg100
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™