I made the tortillas!

Lisa_in_GermanyMarch 23, 2012

I made corn tortillas last night with the masa Annie sent me! They were delicious. Thank you again, Annie for the RAK.

Lisa

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lalithar

Did you take any pics? I love fresh tortillas. I used to be able to buy masa from a local tortilla shop near my previous house. Have not found anyplace near my new place. I did once buy slaked lime and field corn to grind my own masa but chickened out as I was not sure if I would be able to get a fine enough grind..But I love fresh tortilla with some street taco type fillings.. radishes, lime, black beans, etc..

Bookmark   March 23, 2012 at 12:17PM
bbstx

Wow! That's impressive. I've seen them made. Looked very labor-intensive. Rolling them out thin enough would be a serious challenge for me. Good for you!

Bookmark   March 23, 2012 at 12:59PM
lsr2002

Congratulations, I bet they were wonderful. I would love to see pictures too and to hear more about how you made them.

Lee

Bookmark   March 23, 2012 at 5:30PM
annie1992

Oh good, I'm glad they turned out well. They sure are a lot of work, though, so you earned that!

I like fresh warm tortillas with no filling at all, just eaten like bread, although I will admit that I like the flour tortillas better than the corn ones.

Annie

Bookmark   March 23, 2012 at 5:38PM
klseiverd

Have never made my own. One of my times of "buyers remorse" was when I passed on a Real, heavy, cast-aluminum tortilla press... like one used by Rick Bayless on his PBS cooking show It was in a thrift store... shoulda bought it, if only to give it ONE try and then try to figure out other uses to make it a multi-tasker!?!

Bookmark   March 23, 2012 at 5:57PM
sally2_gw

I bought what I thought was plain masa flour once, but didn't read the label well enough, and discovered it was masa tortilla mix. I used it anyway, and had fun making tortillas. Tortillas are so readily available around here I've only made them that once. I should try again. I'd prefer to not use the mix, as I suspect it might have had lard in it.

Sally

Bookmark   March 24, 2012 at 8:26AM
ann_t

Way to go Lisa. What did you do with them? Eat them plain or use them in tacos or enchiladas?

Ann

Bookmark   March 24, 2012 at 8:54AM
Lisa_in_Germany

It was a lot of work, but worth it to see the looks on my family's faces. Lol. I used a wooden cutting board to flatten them out and then ran the rolling pin over them to make them a little thinner. Grilled in a dry pan and then fried for tacos. I made 32 and put maybe ten in the freezer (not fried) after we were done eating.
I did take some pics. Just haven't uploaded them yet.

Bookmark   March 25, 2012 at 12:47PM
annie1992

they are a lot of work when rolling by hand, but that was a good idea to use the cutting board to flatten them.

your kids didn't even know you COULD make tortillas from scratch, did they? (grin)

Annie

Bookmark   March 25, 2012 at 1:34PM
lsr2002

Wow 32 is a lot! I'm looking forward to your pictures.

Lee

Bookmark   March 25, 2012 at 2:30PM
More Discussions
My lastest kitchen purchase
Some of you may remember me talking about our local...
annie1992
A couple more questions about the new format
I've noticed that there's an underline, then gw after...
sally2_gw
Need T&T recipe for Parmesan Broth
Anyone have a tried and true recipe for Parmesan broth?...
bbstx
I Thought about Grainlady and others today....
I made a loaf of bread and had all the ingredients...
carol_in_california
That Time Of Year Again :)
Hi everyone, It's been a long weekend (both good and...
moonwolf_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™