best universall remote for plasma/cd player/radio, etc.

bafeuerMarch 17, 2007

Finally got our beautiful/great sounding(looks/sound great) 50" Dell TV/CD player/Denon receiver/surround sound speakers up and running. Comcast doesn't have a code for Dell, so we have it's remote, awa 3 others now! It's driving us crazy, and we figured since we spent all this $ for a great surround sound system, we might as well get a universal remote for everything. Which one is the best for the $ which will be user-friendly for civilians, and if we press a wrong button, not take us days to figure out!

Barbara

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
taboni

Harmony 880. You can usually find them for $150-160. I wouldn't use anything else.

Here is a link that might be useful: Harmony remote

Bookmark   March 20, 2007 at 6:09AM
bafeuer

Taboni,
Wow! Thanks so much--the guy who set up our home entertainment system is recommending a universal remote that costs closer to $300-400. Not surprising? And to think we can set it up ourselves (we've assumed from our set up guy we'd need him to do), but from the Harmony link, it certainly seems my husband and son I thinkthere's enough brain power to do/I'll leave me out of this equation!) Where can we buy 1? We'll do this weekend!

Bookmark   March 20, 2007 at 2:16PM
taboni

Very easy to set up and maintain, should your equipment change. I'm not sure where you are located but I think you can buy them in Best Buy these days, although I got mine online as that is where I have found the best prices (Amazon has them for 155 at the moment..very good price)

Bookmark   March 21, 2007 at 12:51AM
bafeuer

thanks so much. i'll check Amazon, and we're in Bethesda, MD outside DC, and we certainly have Best Buy!

Bookmark   March 21, 2007 at 7:14PM
KTKelly

bafeur,

I would definitely think twice about buying that Harmony remote. It won't take very long for you to figure out why it's cheaper....

Might the "guy" who set up your AV system be a pro? Does AV system for a living?

Why would you not go with what that pro recommends?

Let me guess. The pro proposed either an RTI T2, or a URC MX900? A pro level control as opposed to a DIY item that will not work consistantly.

Pro's in this industry do not sell Harmony....

Bookmark   March 21, 2007 at 10:56PM
hkstallion

I have the Harmony 628. I have no problems with using several remotes, but my wife gets PI$$ED.

the nice thing about the 628 and higher is first off price, i got a deal on amazon for $30, usually $60-100.

second, it has dedicated buttons that say "watch TV" watch a movie" etc. VERY easy. it hooks up via USB and programs over the web.

for a simple setup like yours (no rs-232, lighting, automation)the harmony is all you will need. for advanced functions (that are usually supported on the lcd screen anyway) you can always just get out the device remote.

BTW, i do have a large system upstairs in my bonus, and this remote would do 90% of what i want up there. it is all based on how well you picked your components.

Bookmark   July 25, 2007 at 3:26PM
Addison1993

I have the Harmony 658.

Bookmark   December 13, 2014 at 2:35AM
jeff-1010

i saved all that money by living with two remotes. i'm just saying.

Bookmark   December 13, 2014 at 6:19PM
mtvhike

Wish I had only 3 (or 2). I have seven! (cable box, TV, BluRay, SACD, AppleTV, DVR, and Yamaha AV receiver). I can't find a remote which will duplicate all the necessary functions on these.

Bookmark   December 14, 2014 at 9:07AM
jeff-1010

mtvhike..... just don't do what i,ve done. get the remote confused with the cordless phone. that brings the level of confusion up to "off the sofa" level. not a good place when you have witnesses:).

Bookmark   December 15, 2014 at 8:42AM
blessedmom_of_4

My recommendation may be too late, but my husband purchased a harmony 900 (much to my dismay because of cost). I truly never thought I'd be impressed by a remote but this remote is pretty neat. It will guide you through steps when one of your electronics is not working correctly. It has a touch screen, can store 6 (or maybe 9) different types of electronics, it will also work through closed wooden doors where you store your electronics so you don't have to have all your equipment exposed. We have our tv, xbox, radio, DVD player, and play station connected. I have 2 teens and 2 toddlers and this remote has been dropped, thrown and I've accidentally dropped it in dishwater (immediately placed in rice). We have not had any problems with it in the 4.5 years we've owned it, and personally, if your going to spend thousands on a new tv and surround sound then what is a few extra hundred dollars, at least that's what my husband convinced me so I went with it and we have no complaints. :-)

Bookmark   February 21, 2015 at 8:58PM
More Discussions
Which Gaming System is the Best: Game Cube, Play Station or XBox?
Which do you think is the best and why? What games...
cupofkindness
Help with mounting a TV in my Breakfast Nook
Hi all, The photo above is the Breakfast Nook in my...
mwkbear
Great solution for mounting TV over fireplace
Hi all, We just moved into a new house and unfortunately,...
chorchie
White flat-screen TV
We are looking for a white flat-screen 32-40 inch LED...
smleers
Wireless cable/satellite boxes?
We are planning on putting our TV above our gas fireplace....
broston2
Sponsored Products
Hammary Mercantile Entertainment Console / TV Stand
Beyond Stores
Armen Living Eden Loveseat - LC21512BR
$696.00 | Hayneedle
Progress Lighting Lighting Transformers Illuma-Flex Brushed Nickel 12 in.
$28.44 | Home Depot
Concept I Wet 52 in. Ceiling Fan with Optional Light by Minka Aire Fans
$289.95 | Lumens
Fanimation FP7954OB Crestford Oil Rubbed Bronze 52" Ceiling Fan
Littman Bros Lighting
56" Modern Fan Gusto White Ceiling Fan with Light Kit
Euro Style Lighting
54" Minka Aire Ultra-Max Bone White Ceiling Fan
Lamps Plus
Cavaliere-Euro 30-inch Wall-mount Range Hood
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for: