Question Home Theater Labor Estimate

drdogMarch 11, 2006

Building a new home and all wiring for home theater is already in place, along with ceiling speaker frames. I only have one bid and I have some questions about their labor bill. System consists of 5 B&K keypads, 1 B&K CT602 multi-zone A/V receiver, 3 pair Canton Inceiling70, 1 pair TruAudio outdoor speakers, Universal Remote MX300, Remote MX9850, Cambridge 640H music manager, along with Arcam 300 A/V receiver and Arcam DV79 DVD player. They have quoted 20 man hours to customize remote interface and another 20 man hours to put in system for a total labor cost of $2,360. Does it really take that many man hours to customize and install system? I have no idea.

Gary

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bighoof

Seems high to me, I had quote for A-bus in 5 rooms, Intergra receiver and DVD player, and Speakercraft speakers and was around $7000, Almost $700 of that was labor at $85 an hour.

Bookmark   March 12, 2006 at 1:09AM
drdog

The wiring for the entire system is already in place. I paid about $2,000 to have it done. Don't know what else needs to be done except hooking everything up to the outlets, etc.
Gary

Bookmark   March 12, 2006 at 2:59PM
netarc

Seems high to me, I had quote for A-bus in 5 rooms, Intergra receiver and DVD player, and Speakercraft speakers and was around $7000, Almost $700 of that was labor at $85 an hour.

The system that dog posted about is a completely different animal than the ABUS system you have - a standalone ABUS system generally requires little to no programming.

My opinion (being in the business) is that the $2,360 actually seems rather cheap - I would expect 40 hours integration effort to be considerably more expensive. Then again, locale could be the difference here (we're in a major metro area).

Bookmark   March 12, 2006 at 6:28PM
schindo

That price is very reaonable. If you want your keypads to control the source equipment in the rack, that programming takes time and is too often underestimated. Be happy with that labor. If they are reputable you should get a good install.

Bookmark   March 18, 2006 at 4:28PM
More Discussions
Wireless cable/satellite boxes?
We are planning on putting our TV above our gas fireplace....
broston2
Public Broadcast TV Channels
I'm behind with the technologies so here I need some...
redsun9
best universall remote for plasma/cd player/radio, etc.
Finally got our beautiful/great sounding(looks/sound...
bafeuer
What do I need to know to buy a wall mount?
I have been looking at a swivel wall mount for a new...
redcurls
Am I required to use in wall speaker wire?
Hello, I've read that some jurisdictions require that...
tigerninety
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™