Two Speaker surround?

iinsicMarch 10, 2006

I currently have an old Yamaha integrated amp wired to two very nice Jamo speakers. I would like to find a receiver that would do a decent job of emulating surround sound through my two existing speakers when watching TV, and also do a good job with two channel music.

I don't want one of the Bose 3-2-1 type systems because I want to be able to re-use my existing speakers. Any thoughts on a decent receiver to meet my modest needs? Budget is $500 or less.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
steve_o

I have an old TOL Sony receiver that sounds great and can synthesize surround sound into three speakers. I would guess that that capability is not all that unusual nowadays. But it will require a center-channel speaker.

Decent centers aren't all that expensive, though it's best if you match it to at least the brand of front speakers you're using (if not a center designed specifically to complement your existing Jamos). I think you could buy a new receiver and center-channel speaker for around $500. Or less, depending on what other features you want and how much you're willing to shop. You might want to check out ebaY if you're comfortable with buying that way.

Bookmark   March 11, 2006 at 9:32AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dadofthehouse

Nah, you don't need a center. There are many receivers out there that can simulate a surround experience with a stereo pair, they just create a slight delay in some of the sound, and knock it out of phase. If the voice is coming out of both speakers simultaneously, you'll create what is known as a 'Phantom Speaker' in the center.

Yamaha came out with a speaker that has about 60 drivers in it. This one speaker can simulate a surround sound system and I've read a lot of good things about it.

What really makes a system is a sub though. If you don't have a sub, you won't have a very good 'movie' experience.

Bookmark   March 14, 2006 at 7:35PM
More Discussions
Where to put speakers -- for music and movies?
Hello, I'm totally coming into this late in the process....
GreenHighlighter
Wireless cable/satellite boxes?
We are planning on putting our TV above our gas fireplace....
broston2
TV over gas fireplace
We are mounting a 65 inch over a gas fireplace , the...
karle13
Need help buying a popcorn machine for Media Room
I am trying to buy a popcorn machine for our family...
leibrook
4k or uhd tv
Has anyone here bought a 4K (Ultra High Definition)...
dodge59
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™