Hardwood installation question

pieng4July 16, 2012

Is there a limit on how far you should run hardwood flooring without a transition? Example, from from to back of our house it's 35ft (two bedrooms and a hallway in between). Do I need to install a transition between the rooms and the hallway or can I run the boards the entire 35 ft? Someone told me you should not run hardwood flooring more than 30 ft without a transition to allow for expansion/contraction. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glennsfc

For nail down wood flooring, an installer needs to provide for expansion in the width...not so much for length, although it is good practice not to fit net to any vertical surface.

Bookmark   July 16, 2012 at 5:09PM
brickeyee

Solid strip hardwood flooring has less than 0.2% movement parallel to the grain.

Every joint between the strips opens and closes as the wood shrinks and swells with moisture content.

Only one side of each strip is actually nailed, allowing each piece to move separately.

Non 'tongue and groove' wood that is face nailed can be a problem.
The wood can split at the nails since it cannot move.

'Engineered' wood flooring is often installed so it moves as a single large pieces of wood in every direction (especially if it has cross ply type construction).

Clearance must be provided in both directions, and for a large are can quickly mount up to inches of movement.

Bookmark   July 24, 2012 at 12:24PM
NWFACP

Good advice above additionlly for areas wider than 20 feet it is recommended that you start in the middle of the room and face the two boards groove to groove joined by a spline which will limit the expansion and shrinkage with areas wider than 20'. As stated above there is not enough expansion in the length to really worry about 'BUT guidelines state we will leave a 3/4" gap for 3/4" thick hardwood.

Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 5:07PM
More Discussions
Need help getting ink/marker off hard wood flooring
Anyone had a child mark on their hardwood floors with...
mattsarmymom
Tigerwood Flooring - if you have it would you do it again
We are considering putting in Tigerwood flooring. We...
snowcamp
Appalachian Flooring made in Canada
http://www.appalachianflooring.com/evershine I have...
cindywhitall
My experience: refinish hardwood floors with Bona Traffic
I thought it would be helpful to others to read about...
nanj
What I Learned About Installing Engineered Floors
We just finished installing engineered flooring over...
francesca_sf
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™