New construction - HDMI in the wall?

schreibdaveJanuary 17, 2009

We are building a new house and had the builder put speaker cable in the walls and also put an outlet and cable tv jack over the fireplace where our TV will go. The components (DVD player, surround sound receiver, cable tv box) will go in a built in bookcase next to the fireplace.

Right now the walls are sheetrocked and painted, trim is done and bookcases are built - and the builder points out that we didnt specify to have a HDMI cable run from the components to the TV.

Here's my questiion - do I need an HDMI cable going between the TV and the place where all the other components are? Or can I have the components all hooked together using whatever kind of cable and then just have a coaxial cable wire go from the cable box to the TV?

It would be possible to get an HDMI cable to the place where the TV is, but not easy.

Besides the Panasonic Viera TV, I dont yet own any of the other components. Thanks in adavance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
davidandkasie

i fyou plan on having HDTV or using a BluRay player then you will need HDMI. coax/rca cables will not provide HD properly.

better than having a certain cable put in teh wall right now, you should have him run a 1" PVC between teh 2 locations so that you can easily fish anything needed later. heck, 10 years from now there is no telling what the cable standard will be.

Bookmark   January 17, 2009 at 4:46PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
msm859

Yes, you need hdmi -- maybe several. Running conduit would be a good idea.

Bookmark   January 19, 2009 at 12:29AM
More Discussions
Nielson Ratings
Has anyone been chosen to do the Neilson Ratings? I...
berk
Internet choices few
For my under-construction home, I have few internet...
mtvhike
Upgrading speakers in FR -- stick with Bose?
We do most of our TV viewing in our Family Room. Recently...
Janice742
What do I need to know to buy a wall mount?
I have been looking at a swivel wall mount for a new...
redcurls
any use of ntsc tv tuner
I still have a NTSC TV tuner for the computer. With...
redsun9
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™