Adding ceiling speakers

Janice742January 14, 2013

We are considering installing speakers in our family room and dining room.

Our family room is not conducive to surround sound/home theater -- lots of windows and open space.

We have a two-story home.

Can the speakers be installed with minimal damage to walls/ceilings? Will we have to repaint?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
armada

without seeing pictures or knowing the details of your construction (plaster, drywall, etc) makes it somewhat difficult to assess.

Howver, the process should be similar to installing a hi-hat/recessed light in your house, except instead of running electrical wire back to your house's panel for a light, you would instead run speaker wire from the area that sources your sound, typically a home theater receiver/audio receiver to the in wall/ceiling speaker.

Hope that gets you started :) There are also other wireless solutions out there like Sonos if you don't want to start cutting holes everywhere.

Bookmark   January 14, 2013 at 2:53PM
Janice742

I looked into Sonos - but just don't like the idea of having to plug things in and find space for the unit. I know they are small, but we really want to avoid that.

We already of recessed lighting in the family room -- will this make things easier for the install?

Bookmark   January 14, 2013 at 3:15PM
armada

No, the fact that you have recessed lights doesn't help you acheive audio any quicker or easier, unless you use these interesting sound light bulbs, though i've never used them myself. (http://www.amazon.com/GiiNii-AudioBulb-Wireless-Expandable-system/dp/B005HXLJMI)

The recessed lighting example was to illustrate a similar amount of labor necessary and to point out that you'll need a single place to run your wires back to that will control your sources. A company like Niles Audio is one of the most respected in whole house audio, so you might want to look at their website for some ideas.

Bookmark   January 14, 2013 at 10:53PM
Janice742

OK -- thanks so much.

Bookmark   January 15, 2013 at 8:43AM
compumom

If you do put them in the ceiling (and perhaps the walls) make sure to get Dynabox rubber sound boxes to dampen the noise.
Prior to this remodel we had installed ceiling speakers and the reverberation upstairs from the surround sound was occasionally jarring and certainly annoying.
This time around we had better information and perhaps just newer technology. The rubber boxes (inserted into the ceiling before the speaker) work well and make it a much more pleasant environment when the TV is on.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dynabox

Bookmark   January 19, 2013 at 3:16AM
More Discussions
Am I required to use in wall speaker wire?
Hello, I've read that some jurisdictions require that...
tigerninety
Great solution for mounting TV over fireplace
Hi all, We just moved into a new house and unfortunately,...
chorchie
best universall remote for plasma/cd player/radio, etc.
Finally got our beautiful/great sounding(looks/sound...
bafeuer
plasma tv opinion
i'm thinking of a big screen plasma for my next tv....
jeff-1010
What TV Antenna to Get?
I live in greater Princeton area, so considered it...
RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
Sponsored Products
Model One Radio by Tivoli Audio
$149.99 | Lumens
Melody Bluetooth Outdoor Speaker
$449.95 | FRONTGATE
Olivia Platform Bed with Bluetooth Speakers - IDF-7060GY-F
$559.99 | Hayneedle
iDeco Speaker & Docking Station - CR3011A-MA
$57.74 | Hayneedle
Portable Turntable
$79.99 | Dot & Bo
iBlock Portable Speaker for iPhone
$99.50 | FRONTGATE
Furniture of America Mini Cube Storage Ottoman with Bluetooth Speaker - IDF-AC12
$259.91 | Hayneedle
Clio Invisible Bluetooth Speaker
$349.00 | FRONTGATE
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™