Inputs on new TVs

bus_driverJanuary 24, 2010

Looked today at the ads for 19" TVs. One listed only PC input, another one each HDMI and PC. I suppose PC means Personal Computer, a USB connection? If a person needed one of these TVs to monitor only a video signal from the yellow RCA plug, how would the hookup be made? Is there an adapter matching HDMI to other inputs?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

In partial answer to my own question, there are indeed adapter cables for HDMI to RCA connectors. Anyone used them? Your comments are still welcome.

    Bookmark   January 25, 2010 at 7:59AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

PC connections are the 15 pin connector just like your standrad computer monitor connection to your computer. most flat panels have at least RCA inputs, though some dont so read the specs on the box.

    Bookmark   January 27, 2010 at 9:23PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

what device are you using that has a yellow rca video out jack? A vcr?


    Bookmark   February 22, 2010 at 8:36PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Yes, a VCR, among other things. Why does the exact device matter?

    Bookmark   February 23, 2010 at 7:13AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I now have a cable assembly, purchased online, that has HDMI at one end. The other end is 5 RCA plugs. No instructions with the cable. The plugs are (in no particular order) green, blue, red, white, yellow. I know that component video ordinarily uses green, blue, red, audio would ordinarily use white and red. Other hookups would use yellow for video, red and white for audio. I have a DVD player with both output hookups. How does one hookup this cable?

    Bookmark   February 25, 2010 at 1:04PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Update. I tried every combination of hookup of the HDMI-to-RCA adapter. Nothing worked. While I do not know for sure, one explanation is that the RCA jacks have analog output and HDMI is for digital input. If that is true, adapter cable alone will not do the job.

    Bookmark   March 17, 2010 at 5:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

You are correct the RCA (commonly called composite) video signal is analog and not directly compatible with either PC (commonly called vga) which is analog or HDMI which is digital. They do make convertors. It sounds like you are attempting to use a computer monitor as a video screen? Most all tv's even digital tv's have composite input's.

    Bookmark   March 24, 2010 at 7:05PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

the HDMI is one of the best quality but only for newer electronics.

Here is a link that might be useful: used stair lifts

    Bookmark   March 27, 2010 at 5:36PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Help with mounting a TV in my Breakfast Nook
Hi all, The photo above is the Breakfast Nook in my...
any use of ntsc tv tuner
I still have a NTSC TV tuner for the computer. With...
White flat-screen TV
We are looking for a white flat-screen 32-40 inch LED...
Wireless cable/satellite boxes?
We are planning on putting our TV above our gas fireplace....
Speaker Placement for multiple watching configurations
We have a minor dilemma about where to put our speakers. Our...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™