HYPERrthyroidism & Overweight

sneakyplantFebruary 6, 2006

Is this even possible? I've gained quite a bit of weight over the last two years. Went to the doctor and he agreed to run a TSH, T3, and T4. Well, I got a copy of my results from the lab today and it says I have Hyperthyroidism. I'm overweight! How's this possible? I've got a follow-up with my doctor in a couple of weeks, but I thought I would see if anyone has heard of this.

Thanks!

Sneaky

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joann23456

I haven't, but I suppose it's possible. But hyperthyroidism means that your metabolism is running too fast, so the usual course is to lose weight. When I got Graves disease and became hyperthyroid, the weight dropped off fast, though not permanently. Now that I've been treated and am hypothyroid, I have the opposite problem.

Good luck in figuring out what's going on.

Bookmark   February 6, 2006 at 11:43PM
sneakyplant

Well, I got some time today and did a Google. Turns out 10% of people with Hyper gain weight. Guess I'm in that lucky 10%! Now I'm worried that getting treatment for my Hyper will make me fatter. *sigh* I just can't win.

Bookmark   February 7, 2006 at 4:02PM
articleworld

Check out this introduction article on Overweight:
http://www.articleworld.org/Overweight

Contents
* 1 Definition
* 2 Measurement
* 3 Health
* 4 Cause
* 5 Treatment

Here is a link that might be useful: Articleworld

Bookmark   May 30, 2006 at 2:34AM
peeved

i have had hypothyroidism for along time now am glad to have found someone to talk to that can relate! i have alot of things going on, like weight gain,muscel weakness,palpatations and a number of other things! what i would like to know is if anyone has a problem walking? Not everyday but more often then not?I am currently seeing a doctor in Boston to fiind some answers! looking for any relief!living with this is extremly more difficult as time passes. If anyone has any advice besides the norm please tell

Bookmark   July 31, 2006 at 2:32AM
More Discussions
air purifier, blueair 650E/IQ healthpro plus/whirlpool AP51030K
I am considering buying one or two more air purifiers...
janesylvia
Taking yourself off Paxil without side effects...???
One of my dear friends, J, had been taking Paxil for...
sooz
Anyone heard of Ageless Xtra?
Hi everyone, I usually post and lunk on the decorating...
customdecorator
itchy skin eczema?
I have been itching and scratching since the end of...
alanis
Hydration cubes
Has anyone tried the Bezwecken hydration cubes for...
texasone
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™