Movies/music/interent is it possible

imwishingJanuary 18, 2009

I am in the middle of a kitchen redo- I was hoping to have a 37 in lcd in the kitchen that i could have connected to a computer (as a monitor) so that i could post my google calendar , kids pix scrolling away, and espn 360, and the tv shows they are showing online. Then - I did some research and found out about netflix streaming. I would also like to have music in the other parts of the house . and it would be great to be able to watch "on demand" dvd/blue ray on other tv's in my house- The GC has installed 2 ceiling speakers in the kitchen- and i was going to put some surround sound speaker in the basement den adn then in the family room-

I have been doing tons of research- but it is like reading another language to me- I have read about Roku, sonos, linksys, transporter, x-10 , vista media , extenders and streamers- so it seems i can do - individually- all the things i want- i just don't get the best way or least equipment way to do it-

that being said- I have no idea what to do- there is so much out there -any help or advise is deeply appreciated-

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
davidandkasie

hire a real hoem entertainment/automation designer to at least get you a list of what is best for your situation. do not just go down to the local discount store and ask them, as you will be lucky if anythign works then!

Bookmark   January 19, 2009 at 12:59PM
garymunson-2008

Look into Sony Playstation 3. Cheap enough (compared to other similarly capable stuff) to install on each TV. They are WiFi equipped and can do all you mention and more. Plus you'll get a Blu-Ray with each.

Bookmark   January 20, 2009 at 4:26AM
imwishing

thank you

Bookmark   January 21, 2009 at 8:46AM
pequafrog

Apple TV.
Then you can do your iTunes, YouTube, NetFlix, all your photos, internet radio. We LOVE ours. Hope this helps!

Bookmark   January 27, 2009 at 10:20AM
garymunson-2008

Does the Apple TV accept a keyboard and mouse for internet browsing?

Bookmark   January 29, 2009 at 4:50AM
pequafrog

No Gary. There's no browsing. The keyboard is virtual and is accessed via the remote. The cool thig about it for us is that we're getting rid of cable tv and going to antenna. You can see my post about that on this same board. Anyway, Apple TV still allows us to buy or rent HD movies. To watch streaming movies instantly via Netflix. And to view YouTube and listen to your iTunes including internet radio (which is the future of radio not satellite). Also, I rip all my movies to iTunes and so our entire movie library is ready to be viewed.

Bookmark   January 29, 2009 at 8:26AM
losttvseries

SD
lol

Here is a link that might be useful: MASH DVDS

Bookmark   February 24, 2009 at 12:39AM
More Discussions
White flat-screen TV
We are looking for a white flat-screen 32-40 inch LED...
sleers
Help connecting my DVD recorder to my Vizio Smart TV
I recently purchased a Vizio SmartTV. I am trying to...
don_na_na
Public Broadcast TV Channels
I'm behind with the technologies so here I need some...
RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
Seeking layout suggestions
So we are not fond of our current media setup in our...
tkstock
Smart Home - Need Help Keeping It Simple
We are roughing in our new build. A little late to...
mamabearjd
Sponsored Products
VIGO Mediterranean Seashell Glass Vessel and Faucet Set in Chrome
Modern Bathroom
AICO Furniture - Cortina Leather Bedside Bedroom Bench, Honey...
Great Furniture Deal
Urbanfire Propane Fireplace - Red - Modfire
$1,650.00 | HORNE
Orange Modular Box
$17.99 | zulily
Reed & Barton Preston 4-Piece Steak Knife Set - 1380281900
$41.81 | Hayneedle
Saloom Furniture | Grace Concave Dining Table
YLiving.com
17 Inch Waterloo Premium 16 Gauge Stainless Steel Undermount or Drop In Single B
eModern Decor
Hopson U-Chaise Sectional - Key Largo Grass Green
Joybird Furniture
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™