Here's a Blu-Ray fact they don't tell you

sombreuil_mongrelJanuary 13, 2009

I have learned that not all BluRay discs are playable in all BluRay players. Since the technology is still under development, and new "features" get added to enhance viewing enjoyment, players often are unable to read the disc properly.

My BluRay player requires "firmware" updates loaded via a thumb drive. The time between when a disc is released and when the manufacturer (sharp, in my case) comes up with a fix to enable it to be played, can be several months.

Ain't technology great?

Casey

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
johndeere

I have a Sony and have not had a problem with playing any disks.It can recieve firmware updates by hooking it up to the internet.Or Sony will send a disk in the mail.I ordered the disk rather then dealing with running a ethernet cable to the Player.No charge not even shipping charges for the disk.It worked with every disk I tried but I went ahead and installed the update.

My only complaint with Blu-ray is the lack of movies and the higher cost.

Bookmark   January 16, 2009 at 2:43PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
harry_wild

Only older Blu Ray players that are 1.3 and not 2.0 need to be updated. Most current 2009 models are already 2.0 and will be coming out in April-June timeframe. CES has several articles about this.

Bookmark   January 20, 2009 at 3:31AM
More Discussions
best universall remote for plasma/cd player/radio, etc.
Finally got our beautiful/great sounding(looks/sound...
bafeuer
Midcentury decor - suggestions for media stand
My son has a very large flat screen TV with components...
bichonlover3
Any advice about a smartwatch
Hello Friends, Has any of you guys been looking at...
venkatd
TV over gas fireplace
We are mounting a 65 inch over a gas fireplace , the...
karle13
Seeking layout suggestions
So we are not fond of our current media setup in our...
tkstock
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™