Low Sodium Tips!

ericasjFebruary 9, 2005

As I wrote in my post about the DASH diet, I'm not wild about cooking and was having a hard time figuring out what convenience products I could use. It first appeared, none. But I'll do almost anything to avoid cooking from scratch (LOL!) so I searched around online and found sources for lots of stuff. Thought I'd post some info here for future reference, since high BP is so common. Maybe it will help someone else save some time!

1) You can buy Chicken of the Sea low sodium tuna by the case, online through Amazon.com. Who would have thought! (I can't find it in my market.)

2) There is a store called www.shopbydiet.com where you can search their inventory by your specific diet needs, whether it's low sodium, gluten-free, or whatever. What I was especially happy to find there was low fat, fairly low sodium Annie's Naturals salad dressings in single serving pouches. Now if I'm going out to lunch or have to pick up an emergency salad at McD's, I can take my own dressing with me and know I'm safe.

3) www.healthyheartmarket.com has a lot of stuff, including sodium free baking soda and baking powder. Also they have flavored rice mixes that have practically no sodium compared to Rice A Roni. I can't vouch for how they taste, yet. They have several cookbooks and calorie/sodium counter guides.

4) Trader Joe's has a section on their website where you can find lists of products with no or little sodium. The link for East US stores is http://www.traderjoes.com/products/brochures/east_sodium.asp?ECID=list_track

If you substitute west in the address, you'll get the guide for West US stores.

5) The publisher of a guide to low-sodium foods has a lot of the foods listed online, accessible for free. It's at http://www.indata.com/lowsalt/food_center/lsfoods/dir_lsfoods.htm

HTH,

Erica

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gandbb

Thank you Erica, that was very thoughtful of you

Bookmark   February 11, 2005 at 12:48AM
More Discussions
Vitamin D makes my hip ache.....
Has anyone had this to happen? When I try to research...
lovemrmewey
incisional hernia
Have you had hernia surgery with mesh placed? I am...
sasha7
Tennis Elbow
Was just dx with a tennis elbow...Besides taking the...
anicee
Suggest a remedy for chapped hand and breaking of nails
I am a working lady and my work is mostly on computer....
kalifa
I have RLS (Restless Leg syndrome) .... anyone else taking this drug ?
Anyone suffering with Restless Leg syndrome? I have...
vieja_gw
Sponsored Products
Linon Arial 24 in. Counter Height Stool - 03277MTL-01-KD-U
$87.99 | Hayneedle
Hopson L-Sectional (4 piece) - Key Largo Graphite Brown
Joybird Furniture
Holtkoetter | Ludwig Wall Sconce No. 5584/4
$970.00 | YLighting
Safavieh Lyndhurst Collection Floral Sage Rug (7' Round)
Overstock.com
Super Duty Bellagio Black 4-Piece LED Landscape Lighting Set
Lamps Plus
Merletto Set of Four Scalloped Salad Plates
$169.00 | FRONTGATE
Hinkley Lighting Composite 15 in. Ground Spike Bronze Finish
$13.95 | Home Depot
Tech Lighting Elton 700-FJ-ELT-03-Z Low Voltage Halogen Track Light Fixture
Alcon Lighting Supply Co
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™