Elevated platelet count??

prisFebruary 29, 2008

I went in for routine bloodwork Wednesday. The PA called yesterday. Most results were good but I had an elevated platelet count. He asked if I had ever been told this. Of course, the answer is no. He's going to discuss it with the Doctor on Tuesday when he gets back, so, here I am, stuck until then wondering what in the world can be wrong and if this is serious or not. Anyone have any suggestions??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sammy zone 7 Tulsa

I'd call the doctor, even if it is the weekend. It isn't your fault that he hires a PA who should not have called you. What an idiot! That is the doctor's responsibility. Everytime we hear questions like that, we cannot help but worry, yet it proabably could be a number of things. He did not even have a back up response for you, like to come in again and redo the test.

The doctor should be able to give you more information, and hopefully give you some peace or be honest enough that you will be prepared to get another opinion.

I just reread your post. Who gets back on Tues? the doctor or the PA?

Good luck

Bookmark   March 1, 2008 at 6:53PM
pris

Sorry to be so late in replying but evidently he (the PA) thought about it and called to have another test run before the doctor comes on Tuesday. That's where I was this morning. At least this way we will know that the first one wasn't a mistake if today's comes back the same. When I questioned him again this morning, his answer was much the same as yours. Could be any number of things. Guess I'll just have to worry about that when the time comes.

Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate you're taking the time.

Bookmark   March 3, 2008 at 3:20PM
Meghane

We deal with this in pets too. Most of the time, it is expected because the patient is anemic, and the degree of thrombocytosis is mild. Sometimes though we do get worried because the patient is otherwise normal or if the count is REALLY high. A very high platelet count, regardless of cause, is a problem because it can make you "hypercoaguble" or make the risk of getting a clot much higher. Clots are the things that cause strokes, embolisms, heart attacks, etc. Again, that only happens when the platelet count is really high, and of course verifying that the count is high is extremely important.

Automated blood cell counters can make mistakes, and having a human check the results on a blood slide goes a long way.

Bookmark   March 3, 2008 at 5:53PM
khandi

I had high platelet count when I was anemic. I struggled with anemia for years because of my RA. It's now under control. I asked my doc about the possibility of clots and stroke. He said not too worry in my case.

Bookmark   March 5, 2008 at 8:21AM
More Discussions
Anyone heard of Ageless Xtra?
Hi everyone, I usually post and lunk on the decorating...
customdecorator
Post Pregnancy Joint Pain & Muscle Stiffness
Wondering if others have experienced joint pain and...
Audlee
Painful Spots of Roof of Mouth
Has anyone had these? Every once in a while, I get...
houseful
Vitamin D makes my hip ache.....
Has anyone had this to happen? When I try to research...
lovemrmewey
incisional hernia
Have you had hernia surgery with mesh placed? I am...
sasha7
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™