White and/or navy Sunbrella fabric on indoor sofa and chairs?

LLHFDecember 30, 2011

I'm considering upholstering my family room furniture with white and/or navy Sunbrella fabric (or the like). I don't want slipcovers, but I would like to be able to wash cushion covers in the washer and clean the body with a wet vac, if it needs it. Does anyone have experience with Sunbrella on indoor furniture? I have kids and a dog. They are hard on furniture. My current sofa is upholstered in a Robert Allen polyester blend woven fabric. I wash the cushion covers in the washing machine 3-4 times a year and they look OK. My Pearson chair fabric hasn't held up so well. I think it is a linen/cotton blend. It is disintegrating before my eyes (understandably, after 9 years of heavy use). I'm thinking about getting a Sunbrella fabric sample, rubbing it on the dog then pouring red wine and chocolate milk on it to see what does and doesn't wash out of it. Thankful for any insight.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
clt3

I would look at Crypton fabric. There are no upholstery fabrics that are designed to be washed in the machine. I think you would not be happy with Sunbrella on indoor furniture. Some manufacturers use Crypton, and if you are thinking of reupholstery, Joann fabrics carries it.

Bookmark   December 31, 2011 at 10:32AM
LLHF

Thanks for the suggestion of Crypton. I saw it at Joann and was impressed with it. I am leaning against it because I'm looking for more of a canvas or linen look fabric. Most of the Crypton swatches I saw were more textured, like chenille. Very pretty, but not what I'm seeking. According to the Sunbrella website, you can machine wash in cold, and even use bleach (!). I just don't know how comfortable it would be.

Bookmark   December 31, 2011 at 12:28PM
clt3

Crypton does make other designs that aren't textured (I know because I have it on barstools). Check on the Joann's website.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crypton linen look

Bookmark   January 1, 2012 at 10:07AM
freethinker99

LLHF, You mentioned you had a dog. One other advantage to Sunbrella fabrics. At least the one that look like cotton twills, is that dog hair is very easily removed.

Bookmark   February 4, 2012 at 11:35AM
sas95

I just bought a chair for a sitting area and covered it in Sunbrella fabric. It turned out great, and you'd never guess it was indoor/outdoor fabric. I had looked at Crypton, too, but didn't like the look or the texture of it nearly as much. I don't plan on washing it in the machine, but I can say it's great with pets!

Bookmark   February 4, 2012 at 7:22PM
soxfan6

I am probably too late, but wanted to let you know that I had 2 sofas slipcovered in Sunbrella fabric 10 years ago and they are still beautiful. I have washed them many times. You would never know they are Sunbrella... the texture is not like the outdoor type fabrics!

Bookmark   February 25, 2012 at 10:19AM
More Discussions
Barcalounger v Lane v Best or other recliner advice
Hi--I think I've done my homework,and I've read other...
sailormass
Coaster furniure quality?
I found a dining table and china cabinet online that...
cand1781
What happens to returned furniture
We recently received a living room furniture and one...
madness76
Duane Collie - Question, Please!
Our H & M Kodiak sofa, love seat, chair & ottoman...
cindylouhoo
What experience have you had with Nantuckit Furniture?
Hi! I am thinking about purchasing a slipcovered sectional...
jfkdeb
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™