What is White Hickory wood like?

linnea56December 2, 2008

I was looking at a dining set online and the description said the wood was "White Hickory". I know what hickory trees are (until recently had a property full of them) but was not aware that their wood was used for furniture. I want the set to coordinate with an antique oak china cabinet which is a warm rusty brown color. IÂm not having much luck finding an oak table of the right color and right style, so now I am looking at style and color regardless of wood species.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
linnea56

Thanks for your reply. After posting I did a Google search for white hickory hoping for some pictures of the wood and did not find any, but did get multiple hits for the furniture manufacturer "Hickory White". So now I suspect that even though I asked the vendor about what the wood was, the reply was the name of the manufacturer. Unless there is a wood actually named "White Hickory"? ItÂs a reseller so perhaps that is all she knew.

Bookmark   December 3, 2008 at 8:14PM
furnone

Here is a picture of a Simply Amish dinette set in natural Hickory. Hickory has a lot of color contrast. Hickory heartwood is tan or reddish brown with a sapwood that is white to cream. It is this extreme contrast between the heart and sapwood that makes it easy to differentiate from other wood species. Hickory has become popular in kitchen cabinets in recent years and is now seen more in furniture.

Here is a link that might be useful: Simply Amish Furniture

Bookmark   December 3, 2008 at 9:28PM
linnea56

Thanks, furnone. ThatÂs a very attractive wood. Makes me wish IÂd had something made from my former 3 acres of hickory trees! This is helpful; itÂs obvious to me now that this is not the wood in the dining set I asked the vendor about, which had a dark stain. I will have to ask them again.

Bookmark   December 3, 2008 at 9:39PM
More Discussions
Flexsteel vs. Lane vs. Natuzzi leather sectionals
I'm pretty confused and hoping for some solid comparisons...
tuckerlr
Omnia leather furniture
We have seen a sofa by Omnia that we like - for around...
Susijo
sectional sofa help
we're in the market for a sectional for our basement...
lmgch
Trying to fluff up my mushy Z Gallerie sofa... help!
I have a 'Stella' sofa from Z Gallerie, and the cushions...
walker328
Can you help me identify this furniture maker/designer?
I acquired this mid-century table and chairs. Looks...
Julie Fortier
Sponsored Products
Pre-lit Reindeer Figure - 4'
Grandin Road
Sonneman | Puck Ceiling Light
$260.00 | YLighting
White Cartierville Bench
$219.99 | zulily
Glass Globe Pendant Lamps for Dining Room
ParrotUncle
Cortland Off-White Euro Sham-Euro
Crane and Canopy