looking for a new dining area table

tansunnyDecember 29, 2010

I say dining "area" because I do not have a dining "room". I live in a 1950's ranch style home where the living room and dining area are all one open space.

Currently it is just myself and my husband although we hope to have children in a few years. Every couple of months we have friends/family over for dinner.

Currently we have an oak pedestal table that seats 4, 6 with the leaf in. It has a tile top. The table is heavy, durable, and in very good condition (just refinished 5 years ago) but its just not my style.

We are definately not a formal house. I would say I try to find furniture that is not traditional or trendy. I have a somewhat transitional style. Not really into bold patterns. In the living room, I have a sofa, oversized chair & matching ottoman, all in the same sage green microfiber. The area rug has tones of rust, sage green, chocolate brown, ivory, light gold and blue in a sort of diamond pattern (not a very contemporary rug, but definately not a floral oriental either). I like simple and stylish.

The walls are in the living/dining area are currently painted SW Restrained Gold. The floors are wood and are a stain called Early American which I chose because it does not really have any yellow or red undertones and is not too dark. However, the floor does have enough dark grains running through it that I could get away with a table that is a darker grain (not black or mahogoney...I just don't want that yellow oak color-dated looking).

Can you help me? I refuse to step foot in Art Van or Gardner White and the like as I am convinced they sell junk. I plan to check out Macy's and JC Penny tonight, but from past experiences I doubt they will be much better. I don't want to spend a fortune, but I also want something that is going to last.

The dining "area" as we are calling it is a rectangle. I am hoping to find a table that normally seats 4, but that could accomodate 8 (with leaves). If it sat 6, I suppose that would be ok too, but as the current table seats 6 and there isn't anything wrong with it, I have to have an add'l selling feature for my husband, ya know? I could do a round table, but the space we are working with is not terribly wide, so anything round would have to be fairly small and I doubt I would find one to expand and seat 8 in that case.

Please help. Direct me to any online sites. We do not have a fancy home and we are in our early 30's. We are a working couple going to school so we can afford something decent, but we don't have the $$ or the home to justify a custom or high end piece.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tansunny

To give you an idea of my style, something like this is pleasing to me-straight lines, but not boring. The color may be a little dark and I'm not sure we have room for a square shape, but I like the chairs.

http://www4.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6E.aspx?GrpTyp=ENS&ItemID=1894fac&DeptID=70752&CatID=70840&SO=0amp;SelDim=4294957900%7e&CatSel=4294953291%7cdining+collections&Ne=4294957900+586+838+580+8+18+904+949+833&x5view=1&shopperType=G&N=4294953291&Nao=0amp;PSO=0amp;CmCatId=70752:70840

Bookmark   December 29, 2010 at 5:01PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tansunny

This one is not bad either, although not sure how I feel about the medallions on the chairs or the color. But I like the general shape.

http://www4.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6E.aspx?GrpTyp=ENS&ItemID=178dc2d&DeptID=70752&CatID=70840&SO=0amp;SelDim=4294957900%7e&CatSel=4294953291%7cdining+collections&Ne=4294957900+586+838+580+8+18+904+949+833&x5view=1&shopperType=G&N=4294953291&Nao=0amp;PSO=0amp;CmCatId=70752:70840

Bookmark   December 29, 2010 at 5:08PM
More Discussions
Quality Outdoor Furniture Brands/Materials?
I am looking to buy an outdoor dining set, chaise loungers...
wendage2
casco bay furniture from someone who didnt just join
Hi im looking for reviews on casco bay furniture from...
armstrongarland
What experience have you had with Nantuckit Furniture?
Hi! I am thinking about purchasing a slipcovered sectional...
jfkdeb
Duane Collie - Question, Please!
Our H & M Kodiak sofa, love seat, chair & ottoman...
cindylouhoo
Horchow new chairs
Anybody knows the manufacturer of these chairs? Where...
inna0410
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™