Necrotizing Fasciitis

zoewolfJanuary 3, 2008

I recently contracted this flesh-eating bacteria and spent the holidays in the hospital. Apparently I was extremely lucky and caught in time, as I still have all my body parts (my right thumb was where it originated - just a tiny, little scrape -- who woulda thought).

I understand that this is a fairly rare disease and that the mortality rate is close to 30%. Whoa! God saved me for some reason.

I was just wondering if anyone else has either had it themselves or know of someone who has?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donna_loomis

I don't know anyone who has had it, but we've sure been hearing a lot about it lately. I'm so glad you were not a fatality.

Bookmark   January 10, 2008 at 4:09PM
socks

What a terrible experience for you. I too am glad you are ok.

Bookmark   January 10, 2008 at 10:00PM
lindac

Yeah...I knew a couple of people who had it....they died!
You are indeed special!!
I had a serious infection in my right thumb as well... originating in the prick fo a rose thorn and being exacerbated by whatever is in the guts and the skin of a raw turkey.
No hospitalization....just a very bad hand for about 24 hours until the antibiotics kicked in....and a semi bad hand for another week.

Bookmark   January 12, 2008 at 7:39PM
vtr4evr

You are indeed very lucky and I'm so glad for you...my 62 yr old (presumed healthy) sister-in-law was rushed to the hospital on New Year's day with TSS and NF from a presumed spider bite on her back side about 5 days prior. After hours of surgery to remove infected tissue which left a huge defect, the surgeon gave her family no hope for her survival after her kidneys failed. She was in a coma & on a vent until Jan. 10th. While still very weak, unable to walk alone, she has a wound vac, and is very slowly making gains. Needs extensive skin grafts and possibly another 6 wks in the hospital. And this after the surgeon giving her a less than 50% chance of surviving more than 48 hours due to kidney shutdown and MRSA. We are all so thankful. This is one VERY scary disease process.

Bookmark   January 27, 2008 at 9:21PM
jackie643

I had NF. Oct 25th. 2006 I was in the hospital 20 days, had 4 operations including a skin graft.
they used a wound vac on me to help speed up the healing.
I was lucky I survived, my surgeon said I was 2-3 days from buying the farm.

Bookmark   May 4, 2008 at 9:16AM
More Discussions
Chronic tonsillitis after mono?
Hi everyone, My almost 20 year old daughter had mono...
catherinet
Does anyone else have a problem with Dental X-Rays?
I am wondering if it's just me or if anyone else has...
Judith
4000 chemicals in cigarette tobacco
there are 43 known carcinogens also. Here's the list!! Anyone...
pawprint1
incisional hernia
Have you had hernia surgery with mesh placed? I am...
sasha7
a night guard for teeth grinding, worth the money?
Many times with many different dentists it has been...
bug_girl
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™