Necrotizing Fasciitis

zoewolfJanuary 3, 2008

I recently contracted this flesh-eating bacteria and spent the holidays in the hospital. Apparently I was extremely lucky and caught in time, as I still have all my body parts (my right thumb was where it originated - just a tiny, little scrape -- who woulda thought).

I understand that this is a fairly rare disease and that the mortality rate is close to 30%. Whoa! God saved me for some reason.

I was just wondering if anyone else has either had it themselves or know of someone who has?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donna_loomis

I don't know anyone who has had it, but we've sure been hearing a lot about it lately. I'm so glad you were not a fatality.

Bookmark   January 10, 2008 at 4:09PM
socks

What a terrible experience for you. I too am glad you are ok.

Bookmark   January 10, 2008 at 10:00PM
lindac

Yeah...I knew a couple of people who had it....they died!
You are indeed special!!
I had a serious infection in my right thumb as well... originating in the prick fo a rose thorn and being exacerbated by whatever is in the guts and the skin of a raw turkey.
No hospitalization....just a very bad hand for about 24 hours until the antibiotics kicked in....and a semi bad hand for another week.

Bookmark   January 12, 2008 at 7:39PM
vtr4evr

You are indeed very lucky and I'm so glad for you...my 62 yr old (presumed healthy) sister-in-law was rushed to the hospital on New Year's day with TSS and NF from a presumed spider bite on her back side about 5 days prior. After hours of surgery to remove infected tissue which left a huge defect, the surgeon gave her family no hope for her survival after her kidneys failed. She was in a coma & on a vent until Jan. 10th. While still very weak, unable to walk alone, she has a wound vac, and is very slowly making gains. Needs extensive skin grafts and possibly another 6 wks in the hospital. And this after the surgeon giving her a less than 50% chance of surviving more than 48 hours due to kidney shutdown and MRSA. We are all so thankful. This is one VERY scary disease process.

Bookmark   January 27, 2008 at 9:21PM
jackie643

I had NF. Oct 25th. 2006 I was in the hospital 20 days, had 4 operations including a skin graft.
they used a wound vac on me to help speed up the healing.
I was lucky I survived, my surgeon said I was 2-3 days from buying the farm.

Bookmark   May 4, 2008 at 9:16AM
More Discussions
incisional hernia
Have you had hernia surgery with mesh placed? I am...
sasha7
Hydration cubes
Has anyone tried the Bezwecken hydration cubes for...
texasone
I have RLS (Restless Leg syndrome) .... anyone else taking this drug ?
Anyone suffering with Restless Leg syndrome? I have...
vieja_gw
Blood pressure cuffs in the hospital
I was in the ER a couple of times for pain in my knee,...
emma
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™