Bereavement Counseling

socksApril 3, 2006

On the radio (NPR) this morning I heard an interview of a husband and wife who lost their 22-year-old son in Iraq. The wife said their family was "drowning" in grief, and when they got bereavement counseling, it was like someone threw them a life preserver. So if anyone here is on the fence about going for counseling, maybe this family's experience will encourage you to go.

Susan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Brycesmommy

I agree 100%

That's an excellent way of putting it..& felt the same way.

Bookmark   April 3, 2006 at 6:18PM
bowdoin514

Ditto, Socks & Brycesmommy, I'm with you all the way there. But let me ask a REALLY dumb question here. And I am no stranger to grief, and ran a grief support group several years ago. Is bereavement counseling the same as bereavement support? Or does support come under the category of as a type of counseling? Sorry for the stupid question. Support/counseling can be a lifesaver. It saved me with the death of my infant son in 1986, and again in June 2005 with the death of my 18 year old daughter.
Emma in PA

Bookmark   April 4, 2006 at 7:33PM
tjmondragon

I still can't do it. I dont know why ? I guess I just think why? it wont bring him back. Also because im not that much of an outgoing person to stand in fromt of people and tell them all my problems. Its almost the same as this group but you dont see me when I cry like a baby.Maybe im just silly but thats how I feel. sorry to be such a bummer.
always tracy

Bookmark   April 5, 2006 at 4:13AM
socks

You aren't a "bummer" Tracy! You have to follow your heart, and if you know it won't suit you, then you should not go. I wish you well.

Bookmark   April 5, 2006 at 11:31AM
sudiepav

Tracy, follow your heart. Several bereavement counseling places were recommended to us. None felt right. I got major support from good friends who helped so much when we were trying to put one foot in front of another. I also have gotten support from this forum. All of us, in one form or another walk in your shoes. We understand your pain, and we're happy to listen, any time. My prayers and thoughts are with you.

Bookmark   April 5, 2006 at 6:30PM
More Discussions
Over 10 years and I still miss my dad
My dad died Dec. 27, 1998. He was 59. He was diagnosed...
threeoffour
Gift
Hello, I joined today because a friend has just lost...
friend2U
When the greiving begins before death
My mother and I kept my grandmother at home, she went...
cherig22
Feeling guilty because I miss my dog-Part 2
Three years ago today, I lost my beloved dog Homer....
kms4me
sudden death of husband at 46 years of age
Hi...I stumbled upon this forum and felt compelled...
still_in_shock
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™