question about carpeting

marrilynJune 18, 2011

I am currently looking at two different types of carpeting for our family room. One is Karastan stainmaster vittoria. It is 100% stainmaster BCF nylon. It seems really thick. One salesman tells me it is overpriced and not worth it.

The other is from Mohawk. The style is called Elegant addition. It is also 100% wear dated soft touch BCF nylon with scotchguard protector. It is softer to the touch but does not seem as thick.

I haven't really priced either on yet, but am just wondering which is the better carpet? The karastan does seem thicker, but the other one is softer. And the Karastan doesn't have as good of warranties as the other.

Any opinions out there?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Floortech

Karastan is overpriced in my mind. They want the product priced high intentionally to give it status. Stores are not allowed to mention Lowest price or anything of such in their advertisements when it is regarding Karastan. That is Karastan Rule!.The bcf weardated will be better value..Take a long look at Smart Strand from Mohawk...not the Karastan version...the regular Mohawk Smart Strand. That is Mohawks most reliable best product and it will be softer than the Mohawk..is stain proof and wears like iron. Trust me on this one..we carry or have carried all 3 products.I would not give Karastan one dime if I were you. Good Luck

Bookmark   June 19, 2011 at 1:07AM
marrilyn

Thanks for the input Floortech. You sound like the salesman I spoke with. My decorator is the one who showed me the Karastan and it does seem much thicker. I haven't priced anything yet, just trying to figure out what the best value is.

Bookmark   June 19, 2011 at 2:17PM
CompleteFlooringAZ

The reason he told you the carpet is over priced is because Karastan, like Stainmaster, is a Brand you are purchasing. Regarding carfpet thickness: Thicker carpet does not mean better carpet. Consider and research Smartstrand. I have links on my website to videos on this carpeting. www.completeflooringaz.com to the carpet link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Carpet Tucson

Bookmark   June 19, 2011 at 7:09PM
Floortech

It's way beyond the brand issue with karastan...I could tell you all about karastan and you wouldn't want a snibble of it...but they would probaby stalk me down and shoot me. Stick with Smartstrand

Bookmark   June 20, 2011 at 1:04AM
More Discussions
Anyone used Coretec?
I have searched and searched, but I haven't seen any...
joygreenwald
Carpet removal cost seems high, is it?
I got a quote for new carpet in a new-to-me house....
prettybluehouse
Redoing '80's bedroom/bathroom/hallway and looking for flooring ideas
Purchasing a house with wall to wall blue carpet in...
daimonium
Travertine Flooring
Trying to find out more info on Travertine flooring....
dqubti
trying to figure out vinyl vs wood laminate Help !
I am new to using anything other than real wood......
roksee
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™