Decorating a 60s/70's style house

diyermadDecember 1, 2011

I'm really keen on the shabby chic sort of look for my new lounge but our new house is going to be 60's/70's style without much character - do you think this look would work or am I best sticking to a more modern look?

We will have a traditional multi fuel stove in there, but the windows/patio doors etc are all modern and the rest if the house is characterless.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lowimpact

We have lived in our 1960s ranch house for 23 years now, and little by little, we have come to appreciate its design integrity. So, first I would recommend that you look at the house more closely. Is it really lacking character, or is it just not your personal style? Are the rooms small? Are the windows ugly? Or is the house just simple in its form and appointments? Houses from the 60s often have long and lean lines which can provide a spacious canvas. In any event, I wouldn't abandon your love of shabby chic, but I would think of it as an accent to a more minimalist approach. For example, on a simply lined couch, you could use throw pillows made from a shabby chic fabric you adore. You could then pick up some of the colors in those pillows in some vases that are more authentic to the house's era. I think if you don't overdo it, you can definitely incorporate some of the design that makes you feel good but still have it reflect the house's era. You don't really indicate how much you will be doing to the house. Are you renovating, replacing windows, adding on, etc. or just decorating?

Bookmark   December 13, 2011 at 12:27PM
More Discussions
Furniture help
Hello My boyfriend and I just moved in and we really...
Penny Dimitrakaki
Bernhardt vs. Thomasville for leather.
Thinking of getting a leather sofa for its durability....
Sparks72
Bassett Custom Dining Tables
Anyone out there bought Bassett custom dining tables....
Gregstu
Who Are Reputable Made In America/North American Furniture Companies?
I am looking for great-room/living room furniture for...
mothersnood
Tolix for outdoors?
Does anyone have experience using Tolix chairs outdoors?...
Chris 802
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™