Decorating a 60s/70's style house

diyermadDecember 1, 2011

I'm really keen on the shabby chic sort of look for my new lounge but our new house is going to be 60's/70's style without much character - do you think this look would work or am I best sticking to a more modern look?

We will have a traditional multi fuel stove in there, but the windows/patio doors etc are all modern and the rest if the house is characterless.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lowimpact

We have lived in our 1960s ranch house for 23 years now, and little by little, we have come to appreciate its design integrity. So, first I would recommend that you look at the house more closely. Is it really lacking character, or is it just not your personal style? Are the rooms small? Are the windows ugly? Or is the house just simple in its form and appointments? Houses from the 60s often have long and lean lines which can provide a spacious canvas. In any event, I wouldn't abandon your love of shabby chic, but I would think of it as an accent to a more minimalist approach. For example, on a simply lined couch, you could use throw pillows made from a shabby chic fabric you adore. You could then pick up some of the colors in those pillows in some vases that are more authentic to the house's era. I think if you don't overdo it, you can definitely incorporate some of the design that makes you feel good but still have it reflect the house's era. You don't really indicate how much you will be doing to the house. Are you renovating, replacing windows, adding on, etc. or just decorating?

Bookmark   December 13, 2011 at 12:27PM
More Discussions
Anyone else sick of the spam?
Spam, as in "Pro" members linking to their...
sushipup1
HomeStretch Sofas - Good Quality? Anybody have one?
I have been looking for a fabric sofa. I hope to purchase...
ginger25
Rove concepts
Hi: I was wondering if anyone has heard about Rove...
chitra0828
Omnia leather furniture
We have seen a sofa by Omnia that we like - for around...
Susijo
Flexsteel vs. Lane vs. Natuzzi leather sectionals
I'm pretty confused and hoping for some solid comparisons...
tuckerlr
Sponsored Products
Parker House - Genoa 3 Piece Entertainment Center - PAH-GEN-610-3EC
Great Furniture Deal
3 Watt LED Recessed Light Fixture - Aimable and Dimmable
Super Bright LEDs
Ridgeway Oil Rubbed Bronze Two-Light Wall Sconce
$39.95 | Bellacor
Maisie the Cow Box
Grandin Road
Mysterio Ceiling/Wall Light by Diesel by Foscarini
$379.00 | Lumens