Husband overdosed on medication

jewels_growApril 28, 2009

My husband passed away a little over a year ago due to accidental overdose on prescription drugs and it still hurts as if it was yesterday. I will never forget the image of finding him dead in our bed. My husband and I were married for 27 years and besides being married we were good friends and did everything together. Now that he is gone, I find myself crying, lonely, and doing everything on my own without him. Our son and his wife moved in with me to help me through this. Nothing helps as it hurts so much. The ironoc thing is, no matter where you are or who you are with, the pain is still so intense. I love and care so deep and think because of this it may take me a long time to try to live a normal life. How does a person get through this without going insane?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mariend

Do you have any support groups in your area? Does they YMCA or any church have groups? Did you get some grief counseling? Do you work? do volunteer work?
Is there any senior centers you choose to volunteer at?
Do you have any hobbies. Have you started putting pictures in a book, start a journal and write something each day--even your unhappy thoughts. One day at a time.

    Bookmark   April 28, 2009 at 5:09PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jewels_grow

Thanks for your reply. I have gone to support groups and I leave there more depressed than when I arrived. I work from 4:00 AM to 6:00 PM every day and I also go to school full time so you can imagine how busy I am. I do not have a lot of time to myself. I applied for school thinking that it would get my mind off of grieving, boy was I wrong.

    Bookmark   April 28, 2009 at 7:23PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sylviatexas1

It's a big wound;
Give yourself time & space & permission to howl at the moon, & stay far away from *anything* that makes you feel worse instead of better.

That work & school thing...
If it were working, it would be okay, at least until you exhausted yourself, but since it isn't working, do something else.

& do something that will get you outside & get the blood circulating; oxygenating the blood helps the neurons fire more efficiently, & that beats the stuffing out of depression.

I wish you well.

    Bookmark   April 29, 2009 at 4:35PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Loss of first born Adult Son
I have just found this site I lost my first born adult...
jamesdasmum
Double loss both parents
Mom died Sept 17 of lung cancer at age 84 as a total...
chickaroonie
Loss of my Mother
Um, I've never really done anything like this before...
Rachel_
Feeling guilty because I miss my dog-Part 2
Three years ago today, I lost my beloved dog Homer....
kms4me
Loss of my Precious son
Today marks one week that I lost my precious 22 year...
staciet129
Sponsored Products
Vizcaya Mercury Tumbler
Grandin Road
1800s Medical Decoupage Desk Caddy
$36.99 | Dot & Bo
54" Cypress Crossback Swing
Fifthroom.com
Foot soldier military wool blanket - army medic green
Origin Crafts
Authentic Models AS184 Thunderboat
Beyond Stores
MaxLite MLRP24E4541CHB LED Round Pendant, 4100K
EnvironmentalLights.com
LEM Piston Stool - Leather Seat
Design Within Reach
Astoria Floor Lamp by Stonegate Designs
$790.00 | Lumens
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™