Heart pounds after eating?

catherinetJanuary 17, 2007

Hi all,

I've recently weaned off a beta blocker. I was on it for 6 years, and I realize now why I was on it (besides just controlling BP). Whenever I eat, my heart pounds and goes about 100 beats per minute. This lasts a couple hours.

Last night I made the mistake of having some milk in the evening (which can make it worse), and my heart pounded most of the night and was at about 100 beats a minute.

Anyone else have this problem after they eat? It seems to be worse with carbs and higher salt stuff, but seems to always be there.

Yes, I am overweight......but I'm trying to use the exercise bike, and it really makes me feel bad, since I seem to have such an over-reactive sympathetic system, especially off the beta blocker.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
devorah

I have/had the problem. My heart rate would go to 115 from doing something as simple as eating. It turned out that my thyroid meds were too high. I think there are a lot of possible causes. I saw a cardiologist and a pulmonologist about the problem, but it was an endocrinologist who came up with the solution. The solution has a downside. I have gained 10 pounds despite exercising an hour a day and dropping my calories to 1400 a day. Obviously I need to see him again.

Bookmark   January 17, 2007 at 3:17PM
catherinet

Hi devorah,
Are you saying the endocrinologist lowered your thyroid meds? Don't I remember you saying your were diabetic too?
Are you on insulin, or diet-controlled?
I have always seemed to have diabetic-type problems, but I'm not diabetic. But I do wonder if I have an insulin problem......secreting to much when I eat?
I suppose it would be a good idea to try a really low carb diet for awhile, but that's really hard to do.
I was on Toprol for 6 years (a beta blocker), and it made me gain weight too......and have no motivation or stamina. I finally got off it......but now my heartrate is up all the time. It was wonderful at keeping my heart very quiet though!
I guess we just can't have it all!

Bookmark   January 18, 2007 at 9:43AM
devorah

Yes, the endocrinologist drastically lowered my thyroid med. He also took away the Metformin which is what I was taking for diabetes, so now I am entirely diet controlled.

I could maybe tolerate the weight gain if it topped out somewhere, but that hasn't happened yet.

I take Micardis for high blood pressure

Bookmark   January 18, 2007 at 10:38AM
sherilyn08

Could this be a blood sugar issue? Sounds kinda serious.

Bookmark   January 19, 2007 at 6:28PM
mikie_gw

Fluid retention squishes down all those capularies, makes the heart have a work out. Cut back on sodium and use low salty foods on a big meal see what happens.

Bookmark   January 20, 2007 at 5:15PM
compumom

Cutting carbs makes a big difference. You'll drop fluid at an unbeliveable rate. Just cut out most of the white ones to start and watch the salt. you don't have to do lo-salt diet completly. Just give it a try for a week. You'll notice a big fluid loss.

Bookmark   January 31, 2007 at 3:49AM
catherinet

Thanks everyone,
I think I'm much more salt sensitive than I thought. There's so much salt in so many things. But I'll give it a try. And I've been cutting back on carbs too, since that's such an easy thing to do. (NOT!) hahaha The times that I have gone a lower carb diet, it was amazing how much water I lost!
I can't believe how much salt is in restaurant food.
Thanks for your suggestions!

Bookmark   January 31, 2007 at 2:31PM
mattduke1972_gmail_com

Hi all I had the same problem after eating and noticed it more with milk.

Thank you posting guys made me feel more relaxed

Bookmark   March 6, 2011 at 2:58PM
michelle_phxaz

I have these symptoms and it is because of blood sugar. After (or during) eating when my level is low my heart starts to pound and I start to shake. It is just the sugar levels starting to rise.

Bookmark   March 6, 2011 at 5:24PM
Safal

Hi! My mother side there is long family history. She had a heart attack in 1991 and bypass in 1998. I never had a heart attack, but on checking my main artie was 90% blocked. So had a bypass in 2008. Its been 5 years. I get a stress test done every year and so far all is fine.

I'm on beta blocker, blood thinner and statin since the operation. Am 42 and don't have diabities. Since operation my BP remains around 100/60 and heart rate between 55 and 65.

however, since last 4 days my pluse has shot up. Its now between 85.and 95 in resting position. Doc says don't worry. But really bothering me.

What if something is wrong?

Can anyone help?

Bookmark   July 25, 2013 at 5:47PM
d0ug

If you have an allergy to a certain food the heart rate will increase. This is a way to check for food allergies [pulse test]. Be Sherlock Homes and find the problem yourself and if all fails go to the doctor.

Bookmark   July 25, 2013 at 9:35PM
More Discussions
Vitamin D makes my hip ache.....
Has anyone had this to happen? When I try to research...
lovemrmewey
shingles
i've been told if i don't move around so much that...
brightmoregirl
Blood pressure cuffs in the hospital
I was in the ER a couple of times for pain in my knee,...
emma
Relentless Night Cough/Post Nasal Drip
Hello, I am desperately seeking information/advice...
wowibrug
Painful Spots of Roof of Mouth
Has anyone had these? Every once in a while, I get...
houseful
Sponsored Products
Scalloped Toile Standard Sham
$110.00 | Horchow
ELK Lighting Formations 31133 Pendant - 10W in. - 31133/3ASH
$414.00 | Hayneedle
Orleans Crest Giclee Set of Four Shades 3x6x5 (Clip-On)
$49.99 | Lamps Plus
Labrador Retriever Door Knocker
Signature Hardware
Best Redwood Deck Pergola - DPBD-101008121905
Hayneedle
A & L Furniture Western Red Cedar Crossleg Table - 201C-UNFINISHED-WITHOUT HOLE
$268.92 | Hayneedle
Electri-Chef Rotisserie Kit - 24 in. - 4400-RK-24
$107.00 | Hayneedle
Sophia 8-Light Polished Nickel Chandelier
PLFixtures
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™