Mother has cloggeed neck artery

livvyandbellaJanuary 19, 2005

My mother (85) has been told her neck is 90% clogged.
She had a small stroke one year ago. She is trying to decide whether to have surgery or not. Dr. said she has 25 to 35% chance of a stroke without surgery. She is on several medicines for high BP. How do you make this deciscion?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
trekaren

My dad's cousin has same issue. She was in a car accident, and during her exams, they discovered her carotid arteries are completely blocked. In her case (she's in her early 60's) they said her body had obviously rerouted the blood flow somehow, otherwise she would have died long ago. I guess they could somehow tell that she'd had the problem so long. They said there was just as much stroke risk to have the surgery, since it's so tricky, and so close to the brain.

I would get another opinion, before making a decision either way. There are a myriad of other risks involved with surgery in an 85 year old woman, versus a 60 year old woman, so to do it requires a lot of data and at least two opinions on the situation with her arteries.

    Bookmark   January 19, 2005 at 6:07PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
puc13

I agree with TREKaren that the additional risks need to be considered due to her age and definitely to get a second opinion.

My Dad (early 60s) had this surgery just before x-mas after a small stroke at thanksgiving. He was a "high-risk" patient but he came through with flying colors. Dr. said afterward he was 99% blocked.

I'm not sure how BP meds would affect surgery, best to discuss with the doctor/surgeon?

Best thoughts whatever the decision.

    Bookmark   January 19, 2005 at 9:46PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PeaBee4

Having the surgery does not guarantee that she WON'T have a stroke. It just lessens the chances a little.

It's up to her, not anyone else, if she wants to take the chance. 25-35% chance of having a stroke is the same as 75-65% chance of not having one. It's a hard decision to make. At the age of 85, I don't think that I would take a chance on the surgery. But that's just me. It has to be a decision that she is comfortable with.
PB

    Bookmark   January 20, 2005 at 1:50PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DaveNP

Has a decision been made regarding surgery?

If she opt's to not go with the surgery, things can be done to reduce her risk of stroke.

Adquate control of blood pressure, cholesterol and blood coagulation all play in to this. We have great medicines today which can make a huge impact on risk reduction.

D. Adams, NP

    Bookmark   January 31, 2005 at 11:03PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
itchy skin eczema?
I have been itching and scratching since the end of...
alanis
Taking yourself off Paxil without side effects...???
One of my dear friends, J, had been taking Paxil for...
sooz
Chronic tonsillitis after mono?
Hi everyone, My almost 20 year old daughter had mono...
catherinet
Any help for balance problems?
I hope someone can relate. I have terrible balance...
phoggie
Anyone have a hiatal hernia, need advice?
I have constant pain in my diaphram and I read on a...
love2sew
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™