head seam on Smartstrand loop pile

jrs2831June 29, 2011

I am replacing the carpet in our master bedroom with Smartstrand loop pile. We have the option of having having one side seam or, for $180 less because it uses less sq ft, the same side seam and then a head seam that will be 3' wide under the bed making a "T" with the side seam. The carpet store is recommending the more expensive option to avoid the head seam, but if it's under the bed I am thinking I might rather save $180. What do you think?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
boxers

loop carpet will always have a more noticeable seam than a cut pile cpt. Assuming you know the odds of it being noticeable and feel comfortable that it will be hidden than going with the less ydg will be ok for you. Lots of people used to seeing no 'seams' always get upset when buying loop cpt as it can be more visible but not a 'defect'. A good installer will always help but lots of time it has to do with how the light reflects across the seam or how you are looking at it.

Bookmark   June 29, 2011 at 9:10PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Floortech

If under the bed...save the 180 as it hurts nothing at all and it is being frugal in a tough economy. Just my opinion and a good installer many times can make a head seam look just as nice as a side seam.

Bookmark   June 30, 2011 at 1:05AM
More Discussions
Tigerwood Flooring - if you have it would you do it again
We are considering putting in Tigerwood flooring. We...
snowcamp
Review on Taun wood
Has anyone used Taun wood for flooring? We are looking...
itspepsico
Handscraped hardwood -- will it become dated?
So we are in the process of building a new home. We...
carsonheim
Has anyone purchased from value floors direct?
Has anyone purchased flooring from value floors direct? I...
willintotry
Marble floor in a high traffic area?
I was planning to purchase marble for the floor in...
lucik77
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™