Wide space between first and second toes

jennJanuary 7, 2005

My nephew is 4 years old. On the day he was born, I noticed a gap between his first and second toes. Maybe it's completely normal but I noticed it. Today I was reading about a congenital abnormality that includes a wide gap between the first and second toes. A picture showed a much wider gap than my nephew's. I did a Google search on "sandle gap" and it seems to be a symptom of a variety of abnormalities.

My nephew seems healthy and normal in every way. He is learning and developing at a normal rate (or better) and shows no signs of any problems. He's very physically agile, loves books, and everything else good in a child his age. He does have one foot that is slightly turned in and causes him to trip sometimes when barefoot but he wears an orthotic in his shoe to correct that. Otherwise, no other problems. Even so, my worrying mind has me wondering about that gap between his toes. (Dang this internet -- too much information!!) It's not very wide, just wider than the gap between the other toes.

Has anyone noticed a wide gap between these toes in healthy people? I've never noticed it before.

Jen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

Jen -
Next time you are at the beach or in a locker room, start looking at feet. One of mine has a wider gap between the first toes than the other.

True "sandle gap toes" are usually accompanied by a host of serious skeletal deformities and other problems.

Bookmark   January 7, 2005 at 11:12AM
jenn

Thank you. I can put that worry to rest now. :-)

Bookmark   January 7, 2005 at 11:34PM
Vique_Pa

I have a daughter-in-law that has a gap between her first and second toes, and she is perfectly healthy. I guess it is just one of those things that happen from time to time. Vique.

Bookmark   March 2, 2005 at 7:26PM
chinacat_sunflower

Jenn- don't you have enough on your plate as it is?

that's it- no internet for you for at least a week!

I was born with your nephew's feet- and, in the style of age of surgery and braces, they 'fixed' them.

they also caused me a lifetime of ankle injuries, shinsplints, and expressions of disbelief when a series of podiatrists looked at the xrays of my feet.

Bookmark   March 15, 2005 at 12:21PM
jenn

chinacat -- LOL.

I've concluded he is perfectly normal. :-) I've seen photos in catalogs of shoe models and some of them have a gap too. There's nothing wrong with this kid.... he's smart, strong, fun, funny, agile, sweet, .... :-)

Thanks,
Jen

Bookmark   March 16, 2005 at 3:16PM
dayenu

the gap is normal in a foot that hasn't beencompressed into american footwear. we all would look like that if we went thru life barefoot or in sandals.

Bookmark   March 18, 2005 at 12:29PM
More Discussions
itchy skin eczema?
I have been itching and scratching since the end of...
alanis
incisional hernia
Have you had hernia surgery with mesh placed? I am...
sasha7
L-dopa Rx replacement for RLS anyone?
Anyone have RLS (restless leg syndrome)? I have been...
vieja_gw
HEARING AIDS SUGGESTIONS/EXPERIENCES
Need at least one hearing aid. Dr recommends type...
Robert Givens
Suggest a remedy for chapped hand and breaking of nails
I am a working lady and my work is mostly on computer....
kalifa
Sponsored Products
Area Rug: Wavy Stripes Dark Multi 5' 5" x 7' 8"
Home Depot
Pop Satin Nickel Four-Light Vanity Light Fixture
$449.00 | Bellacor
Amba K Straight KS-30 Hardwired Towel Warmer - KSB-30
$728.00 | Hayneedle
Vitra | Freeform Ottoman
YLiving.com
Minka Lavery Illuminati Traditional Large Pendant
1800Lighting