My Glenn is at peace now

EJP773March 19, 2005

I just wanted you to know that my beautiful son passed away at home yesterday morning after a courageous battle with cancer. He died with his beautiful wife cuddled in the bed with him and he was holding my hand and looking straight at me as he slipped away. We three had shared so much in the last week that it seemed perfect for us to be together. The strange thing was that Glenn loved thunderstorms and would stand outside to watch the lightning. Yesterday we had a thunderstorm just as he left to the sound of a big clap of thunder - it seemed very appropriate for my big boy.

Today I am spending time on my own. I am heartbroken but numb to an extent but so incredibly proud of both of my boys. Brendan and three of Glenn's friends put their arms around Glenn and helped him walk while he could, pushed the wheelchair when needed and carried and lifted him in the last days. It was bittersweet to watch but I know they all gained from the love and respect they showed to Glenn. Glenn's funeral will be on Wednesday and we have planned a very Glenn funeral so it is a case of getting through the next few days and honouring him with a perfect send-off.

So now I will travel the hard road many of you have travelled.

Elspeth

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Boopadaboo

Elspeth - our thoughts are with you and your family.

((((hugs))))

Bookmark   March 19, 2005 at 11:05AM
evatx

Elspeth, what a beautiful picture you painted of Glenn's last moments. My heart goes out to you and the rest of the family.

Bookmark   March 19, 2005 at 8:25PM
DianePA

so sorry for your loss, you have my condolences, and the thunder sounded so appropriate!saying a prayer for you and Glenn's wife and friends. DianePA

Bookmark   March 19, 2005 at 9:30PM
suzy_sc

Elspeth, I'm so sorry about Glenn. I'm so glad you were with him. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

I'll email you later.

Bookmark   March 20, 2005 at 12:10AM
socks

Elspeth, thank you for letting us know. Your son had a peaceful, meaningful end to his life. I'm so sorry for this very difficult loss and hope Wednesday is everything you want it to be. I'm thinking of you.

Susan

Bookmark   March 20, 2005 at 1:09AM
lulie___wayne

Elspeth, I'm also glad that you let us know. I'm so sorry for the road that you will have to travel with us. Remember that you are not alone.
Glenn's last moments really were beautiful. How wonderful to leave this earth with people around you who love you so very much. The thunderstorm was a gift from God letting you know that Glenn was home again where he belongs for all eternity. You will meet him later.
Please stay with us. My sincere thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Lu

Bookmark   March 20, 2005 at 7:33PM
goodtastenomoney

Elspeth I have been following your posts and wanted to tell you how happy I am that you had such a wonderful son. God Bless You.

Bookmark   March 22, 2005 at 7:15PM
des_arc_ya_ya

((Elspeth)) I bet you were a wonderful mom to a wonderful son!

Bookmark   March 22, 2005 at 9:22PM
Boopadaboo

just wanted to let you know I was thinking of you on this difficult day.

hugs - Michelle

Bookmark   March 23, 2005 at 3:17PM
EJP773

Thank you all for your expressions of sympathy. Glenn's funeral was yesterday and today I am having a quiet day, doing nothing in particular. The overwhelming feeling I had yesterday was tremendous pride in both of my sons. Glenn fought to the last without feeling sorry for himself. As far as I know, the only thing he said a few days before to Heidi was that he wanted his old life back. Brendan and Glenn's good mates carried him into the crematorium yesterday and then Brendan stood up and gave a lovely, heartfelt talk about his big brother and the things they had done together over the last few weeks. When he faltered a couple of times, I noticed him reach his left hand across to his right shoulder, pat his shoulder and then go on. He said that Glenn was right there at his shoulder. He has grown so much from all this - we all have. I wrote the eulogy for Glenn which we asked the celebrant to read from all of us. I am so glad I was able to do that for him.
I haven't been able to cry for Glenn yet, partly because I know that he is safe from harm now. I just feel incredibly tired. Heidi's family are taking care of her and the children and they are getting through it the best they can.Both families will support each other and watch out for them. Elspeth

Bookmark   March 23, 2005 at 10:45PM
goodtastenomoney

Elspeth I hope you are having a 'good' day today, someone in Ohio is thinking about you! Hope you are remembering to take good care of yourself and getting some rest.

Bookmark   March 24, 2005 at 5:52PM
dcrowex

elspeth, i am so very sorry. i am so glad you and his wife were with him to the final moment. my heart goes out to you and i am sending my prayers to you and your daughter in law for strength.

deb

Bookmark   March 25, 2005 at 2:27PM
More Discussions
Not Much Grieving - Should I Be Concerned?
Hi - Thanks for taking the time to read this. My father...
suzieque
Pennies
I have recently lost my husband in April. October 16...
mnsara
Gift
Hello, I joined today because a friend has just lost...
friend2U
i have never felt so alone lost and frightened
i too lost my husband. he was 37 when he passed. due...
BewilderedShock
Loss of first born Adult Son
I have just found this site I lost my first born adult...
jamesdasmum
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™