Rude grandmother

SAG1December 18, 2002

My sister's MIL is rude to her stepgrandchildren (my sister's kids). She deliberately ignores them or blatently tells them to be quiet around her. At family gatherings she makes a point of telling everyone they are not family members. She does not buy them gifts or even send cards, but she spoils her "real' grandkids with gifts. She even called on of the stepgrandkids a 'fat a**.' My sister's husband has spoken to her but she feels justifies in her actions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DingBat

Your sister's first responsibility is to her children. IMO she should not allow them to be exposed to such a hateful person and refuse to associate with the MIL. If her hubby doesn't like it, he'll have to decide whose feelings are more important, his mother's or his wife's. If he choose mommy over his wife, she and her kids would probably be better off without the whole clan. I'm sorry for being very cynical but I would not allow such treatment of my own kids either. Life's too short and our children are too important.

Bookmark   December 18, 2002 at 7:49PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
monica2001

I agree with Dingbat. If you allow ANY one to mistreat or verbally abuse your kids, your not doing your job. Your job is to be the best Mom you can be and to be an advocate for your children. Lose the MIL. If your husband objects, lose the husband. Life if hard for kids, they don't need trouble from Grandma.

Bookmark   December 29, 2002 at 9:03PM
More Discussions
can't see one grandkid, must take them all or none. what?!
My daughter and 2yo granddaughter moved in with me...
Tired_of_this
My Grandparents made me the man I am today!
Unlike most who post in this section, I am not a grandparent...
AllFiredUp
Thoughts about jealousy of the other grandparent(s)
As I mentioned in my other "thoughts on"...
elisa_z5
Father's Day call
I need advice please. Fathers Day is tomorrow and my...
gotfan
Uninterested Grandparents
I'm becoming more and more troubled by the behavior...
iarsk
Sponsored Products
Wedding Party Cake Knife Server Set with Faux Crystal Handle and Diamond Accents
Overstock.com
Rude Jester Limited Edition Cel
$399.99 | zulily
Brentwood Polished Chrome Twelve-Light Crystal Drum Pendant
Bellacor
Elk Lighting 4H Dish - 93-3046
$22.00 | Hayneedle
Hammary Vecchio Tile Top Cocktail Table
Beyond Stores
Cream & Brown Charger Plate Chest
$12.49 | zulily
Jewel Twelve-Light Pendant