Pre-Installation Floor Prep

kimberlyrkbJune 22, 2012

Hi All,

We want to replace the floor in our basement TV room. The floor is a concrete slab on dirt that currently has carpet and pad on it. The house has always felt/smelled musty even though we've not seen water coming in, and we think this carpet is part of the problem. I also think that the slab itself may be an issue.

We're looking at a vinyl plank flooring product, probably Karndean loose lay tile. Would it make sense to apply something like Drylok masonry waterproofer or Drylok floor paint before we install our flooring, regardless of what we get?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gregmills_gw

If you are concerned about a possible foundation leak. I would suggest you get an inspector out first to get their opinion. While its no necessary since havent seen water. Now would be the time since you are rippin up the carpet. And after what the inspector then proceed.

Bookmark   June 22, 2012 at 5:10PM
kimberlyrkb

Thanks for a fast answer Greg! We're not really concerned about a foundation leak, but I guess we'll never know what we'll find when we rip up the carpet. Good point. Thanks.

Bookmark   June 22, 2012 at 5:17PM
TileTech

Once you have it down to bare slab, tape down a piece of 2x2' clear plastic on the floor and leave it for 48 hours. Any moisture coming up from beneath will show up under the plastic.

Bookmark   June 23, 2012 at 1:09PM
More Discussions
Kentwood Hardwood Flooring
Has anyone installed wood flooring from Kentwood? If...
MichelleDT
why is everyone pushing water based poly?
Everyone that I have gotten estimates for is pricing...
NYMK
Need advice. Subway tile on uneven kneewall
So I was kinda pissed off when I walked into my bathroom...
Michael Coates
bamboo floor fumes--anyone else have this problem??
Hi, has anyone installed a bamboo floor and had trouble...
nikwaters
Appalachian Flooring made in Canada
http://www.appalachianflooring.com/evershine I have...
cindywhitall
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™