Can someone educate me re webbing and springs in Palliser sofas?

radaarNovember 28, 2011

We have been shopping for a leather sofa and liked a few palliser models. One has sinuous springs for the seat and elastic webbing in the back cushions. One has interwoven elastic webbing in the seats and sinuous springs in the back. So quality wise what does this mean??

The saleslady couldn't/wouldn't go into any details about the construction.......just kept saying we'd be getting a very good product with any palliser sofa. Once I mentioned that we had bought a palliser leather sectional about 13 yrs ago and it still looks good in my son's active home it was like she was sure we'd buy another and could't be bothered elaborating on the construction.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rmanbike

Quote "The saleslady couldn't/wouldn't go into any details about the construction...."

I would be looking elsewhere to purchase a leather sofa.

Bookmark   December 4, 2011 at 4:46AM
freethinker99

I did have chance to look this company over recently. Palliser makes a wide variety of stylish products in the medium price range. The regular sofa category has sinuous springs seat construction with sewn in seat and back cushions. They have a step up category with a drop in coil spring system and foam with coil seat cushions which are removable but I think here again the back cushions are sewn on. They have plywood frames as well. They have plants in Canada and Mexico. The company is based in Canada. They also have a good selection of leathers and fabrics with quite a few protected and semi-aniline leathers. I thought the recliners looked good and here again they have a wide selection will all kinds of pieces and configurations. In the medium price range I think it is a good company to look at.

Bookmark   January 26, 2012 at 4:01PM
djuna

I see that this thread is older, but I'm wondering if there is any further information on it? We too are trying to decide between 2 palliser sofas...one with springs, another with elastic webbing under the seats (Wynona vs Genessa models). We can only find a floor model of the Wynona in our area...so we're hoping to find out about the comfort/longevity of the sofas with the elastic webbed seating? Anyone have added information? Thanks!

Bookmark   March 21, 2014 at 9:37AM
freethinker99

Sinuous springs would be preferable to webbing.Webbing is essentially an elastizied cloth woven in a pattern like a lawn chair.

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 6:31AM
djuna

Thanks. I gather that springs would be preferable--which is part of my problem. I've been able to "seat" test another palliser model with webbing (the miami) to get a sense of why they chose this route to go with their construction. And I was surprised at how firm/comfortable it isâ¦whereas another modern style that palliser makes with springs (the wynona) is rather hard. Trying to make sense of it. I rather wish the Miami wasn't so comfortable, or that I could find a floor model of the Genessa, which still intrigues me: http://www.houzz.com/photos/2477288/Modern-Family-Room-contemporary-family-room-other-metro

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 3:40PM
More Discussions
Couch for Big and Tall Guy
What suggestions would you all offer on what to look...
happs
Omnia leather furniture
We have seen a sofa by Omnia that we like - for around...
Susijo
Bassett Custom Dining Tables
Anyone out there bought Bassett custom dining tables....
Gregstu
Bernhardt vs. Thomasville for leather.
Thinking of getting a leather sofa for its durability....
Sparks72
trundle bed/daybed questions
My mom is giving me the trundle bet frame and mattresses...
cindywhitall
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™