Dull wood floors

Jodi_SoCalJune 13, 2012

This Chilean Cherry (Coique) was installed 4.5 years ago. We've used nothing but Bona on it since day one. Recently it has started looking especially dull. Bona never gave it a real shiny look but it as least looked even. Now it looks like there is a light film on the wood. Any suggestions?

Shortly after installation.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
live_wire_oak

Try a bit of vinegar with a microfiber cloth and rub to see if you remove any buildup of anything. If you've used nothing but Bona, I suspect not, and that it's merely time for a normal screening and recoating with poly. But since you have handscraped floors, that becomes an all out pain as you can't use a machine on them. They have to be hand screened to be able to touch all of the highs and lows. That runs into some money.

Bookmark   June 13, 2012 at 7:30PM
glennsfc

What is the Bona product that you have been using?

Bookmark   June 13, 2012 at 9:29PM
Jodi_SoCal

Yikes, I can't image having to refinish the flooring so soon after installing it. We were told in it's lifetime it can only be refinished 2-3 times because it's engineered flooring which we were told we needed to use because we live in a slab home.

We use Bona's Hardware Floor Cleaner and the Bona washable mop system.

I'll try some vinegar this weekend.

Jodi-

Bookmark   June 15, 2012 at 10:14AM
GreenDesigns

Screening and recoating isn't refinishing. It doesn't involve sanding down to the bare wood like refinishing does. You only rough up the dulled surface of the finish only with a sanding screen and then re-apply a top coat. It's a fairly ordinary maintenance procedure with most floors when they begin to show wear in the traffic paths. However, it does require the inconvenience to the homeowner of refinishing in that you need to move the furniture to expose the floor and you may not want to sleep in the house until it's fully cured.

Bookmark   June 15, 2012 at 12:24PM
Jodi_SoCal

Well, hopefully our 4.5 year old flooring won't need to be recoated. It shows no wear anywhere, just a dull film.

This is the first time I've ever lived with wood floors and I love them. This particular wood is warm and soft on the feet, which really surprised me the first morning I stepped on it.

It's never had a high gloss, more like a satin finish, so I can't imagine adding a coat of anything that might add shine to it.

I'll try the vinegar this weekend.

Jodi-

Bookmark   June 16, 2012 at 10:39AM
woodfloorpro

If you product has a pull top (Bona Shine) throw it away!!
Bona cleaner is fine. We are running into more than a few home owners who think they are doing the right thing using the Shine product but what they are doing is putting a cheap finish over their much better finish.

To get it off try washing it down with a damp terry cloth towel using a good cleaner (Bona, Woodwise, Basic Squeaky Clean or any number of the flooring manufacturers labeled,approved products. Mix in about 1 cup of household ammonia per gallon. Let it sit for a minute then gently scrub it off in the direction of the grain. You may have to repeat the process.

Some flooring professionals have special machines to do a deep cleaning of wood flooring and will be happy to take care of your problem for you.

Orange Glow will cause the same issue as Bona Shine. Never use a product that says it renews the shine.

Bookmark   June 16, 2012 at 1:21PM
Jodi_SoCal

The only Bona product we've used is the Hardwood Floor Cleaner shown at the link below.

We'll first try vinegar and if that doesn't work, the cleaner/ammonia combo.

Is Murphy Oil Soap acceptable to use as the cleaner?

Jodi-

Here is a link that might be useful: Bona Hardwood Floor Cleaner

Bookmark   June 16, 2012 at 1:40PM
gregmills_gw

NOOOO! Death to murphys oil soap. Lol.

Forget most of the commerical cleaners. They are okay for once in awhile cleaner but 80% of the time just use warm water and a small amount of vinegar.

1 Like    Bookmark   June 16, 2012 at 2:49PM
glennsfc

If the dulling film is even under your furniture, where you don't usually clean, then it is a product problem and no the cleaner you are using. I never had anyone report a problem with the Bona product.

Are you cleaning the floors yourself or do you (wait for it...) employ a house cleaner?

1 Like    Bookmark   June 16, 2012 at 7:10PM
autumn.4

Jodi-
Are your floors oil rubbed with no poly? They look similar in finish to mine and I am wondering what the best way to clean them is also (without going straight to rubbing tung oil on them all the time). I am scared to DEATH of using water anything because it's wood without any poly to protect it....but I love the finish - no gloss or shine at all. It's holding up great with our 2 boys and 70# dog. So far I have used a very damp cloth on my hands and knees to clean high traffice areas or clean those puppy paw prints that show up.

I haven't tried Bona. I did try to 'damp mop' it with a cloth but that didn't go very well. It definitely didn't glide across the floor more like studdered over it if that makes sense and didn't seem to really do anything. Does Bona help it to glide?

By the way - I am totally in LOVE with your backsplash - clipped your kitchen posts a long while back. :)

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 10:19AM
lynnesmith2005

I have solid hardwood floors that have been installed less than a year and have used nothing but Bona Cleaner, not the shine, wax product. I am having the same exact issue as the user above where my floors look very dull, not shiny. It's like it's putting a dull finish on the floor.

Bookmark   March 19, 2015 at 9:51AM
More Discussions
Has anyone used Wicanders Vinyl Comfort flooring?
I'm really struggling to find the right floor for my...
lovelierthoughts
Bamboo Floor Disaster
Hi, I got new bamboo floors when I renovated my NYC...
katefriedmann
cleaning hardwood floors & tile floors
What's best way to clean hardwood floors.... how can...
kat123
Any experience with BellaCera hardwood flooring and/or hickory wood?
We fell in love with a hickory hardwood in their line,...
happyallison
Engineered hardwood floor help needed
We are going to be selling our home and currently are...
cinnamon01
Sponsored Products
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Artistic Weavers Rugs Aisha Old Gold 6 ft. x 9
Home Depot
Area Rug: Vaca Beige 5' x 8'
Home Depot
Black Tapestry Giclee Shade Arc Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Modern Metal Swing Desk Lamps for Studying
ParrotUncle
nuLOOM Ascending Area Rug - ACR162A-76096
$513.99 | Hayneedle