What is under my carpet??

woo11June 28, 2012

I just moved into my 2005 house that has carpet in the bathroom.:-( anyway, i'd like to rip out the carpet and put in groutable vinyl tile (with grout) for 2-3 years until I'm ready to put in ceramic tile. I have no idea what sub flooring vs underlayment is. i'd like to know if i have to put in something over what i have under my carpet or can i just vinyl over it? i just have a picture of a small corner that i pried up. thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
floorguy

I want to say particle board, but there is a lot of wall mud and paint on the substrate. It could be OSB, but OSB is never that smooth, even with wall mud and paint on it.

Finish grade plywood would not be cost effective.

It looks smooth like particle board.

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 9:03PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
AbcCarpets.com

It looks to me like a tongue and groove 2 x 6 sub-floor and if so is a suitable sub-floor to lay ceramic over the top.

Most ceramic installed in baths are 8' square or less and will be quite stable and not crack if installed correctly. Using a 12' ceramic tile may require you add another layer of under-layment before you install ceramic tile of that size.

If the floor moves up and down when you walk on it that means it needs to be shored up before you install ceramic tiles.

Alan - www.AbcCarpets.com

Here is a link that might be useful: AbcCarpets.com

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 10:53PM
More Discussions
Bamboo flooring from LL bad odor
I purchased morning star bamboo strand click flooring...
rg100
Inexpensive laminate for apt. over a detached garage?
I'm shopping for a laminate for this space, my contactor...
happyallison
farm house Floors
Hello everyone. I live in a old farmhouse in new england....
jennybog
Has anyone used Smartcore Floors from Lowes
Hi, we're looking for something that we can put over...
amoore1205
LVP Underlayment
Hello all. Like everyone here I am in the middle of...
ryancoc22
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™