Asbestos floor tiles?

ChristopherDuValJune 1, 2011

My office has asbestos floor tiles (9x9) which contain I'm told 5-10% asbestos. I've had a rolling chair in there for two years. When I first moved my office in, the tiles had a layer of protective wax. My wife recently noticed that the tiles under the rolling chair have had the wax rubbed off. The tiles are certainly not crumbling away, but probably for the last 6 months to a year, they have not had the wax coating on - it's been rubbed off by the chair. I can take a finger and - drawing it across the tiles - can pick up the tile residue. How much of a health concern is this? I have started the testing for air quality in that room, but it's fairly disconcerting. As I said, the condition has probably been that way for about 6 months or so. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glennsfc

Add more floor dressing to the tiles. Most likely what you are seeing on your finger is the floor dressing (wax) residue. Have the floor periodically 'rewaxed'...that should set your mind at ease. However, do not let anyone use a burnisher on the thing (high speed buffer).

Here's a discomforting thought for you...there is a background level of suspended asbestos particles in every cubic meter of air on the planet...some readings higher in certain places. Asbestos is a naturally occurring mineral fiber.

If you smoke, quit now.

Bookmark   June 1, 2011 at 8:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Stonetech

The only time this might be an issue would be if you were removing it with a grinder or anything that would release clouds of the fiber into the air. It could actually be broken and chipped up safely in pieces.

Just wax and buff it..........

Bookmark   June 5, 2011 at 12:19AM
More Discussions
Is it a bad idea to use pebble tiles in the kitchen?
I am wondering if pebble tiles work ok in the kitchen...
sherry0117
Natural hickory...yes or no....pics inside
I got a sample box and put it out on over the carpet...I...
msekfe
Water-based finish over dark stained floors?
Hi all, Folks are about to start flooring work on my...
afrochic2
Tigerwood Flooring - if you have it would you do it again
We are considering putting in Tigerwood flooring. We...
snowcamp
Floor sanding/screening question
I just purchased my first home and decided to get the...
berlinswing
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™