Re-upholstering sofa - what to use to replace old 'stuffing?'

szmarieNovember 17, 2009

I found a sofa on Craig's List that looks like some I've seen (and drooled over) with $6,000 price tags. I got this one for $40 from a young couple who had no idea how old it is - it was left behind in an old farmhouse they moved into. It's 6 feet long, has a tight back and 3 cushions on the seat, and has 4 legs across for support both front and back. I figured it was a long time since it was last upholstered - the seat cushions are pretty flat and as heavy as the ancient "feather" pillow my husband's grandmother brought with her from Lithuania around 1915. When I sat down on it I could feel the cross-supports of the frame right through the cushions. Since I'm going to reupholster anyway, I pulled up the deck fabric to see what was underneath - I expected to find broken springs. Instead I found, in order from top down, (1) the deck fabric covering, (2) a thin layer of batting, (3) stuff that looks like giant size spanish moss, (4) another piece of fabric, seems to be duck, and finally (5) canvas-like webbing.

I know I must replace the webbing, but I need advice what sort of 21st century stuff to use between the webbing and the foam cushions to replace the old-fashioned padding. (Does anybody know what that spanish moss type stuff is?)

Also, for the actual seat cushion, does a 6 inch thick piece of good seat foam wrapped in Dacron covered batting sound OK?

This is my first re-upholstery project, but the lines of the couch are very straight and should be fairly easy to deal with.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rjinga

you might consider posting this on the decorating forum, there are many talented gals over there who might be able to help.

Bookmark   November 18, 2009 at 9:49AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
szmarie

Thanks for the advice!

Bookmark   November 18, 2009 at 9:51AM
More Discussions
AL Comfort Sleeper worth the price?
I'm considering purchasing a sectional with a sleeper...
virtualanne
Rowe Furniture: Good or Bad?
I've been reading lots of comments on this site (both...
country459
Anyone familiar with this manufacturer.....
It's Lancer Furniture out of Starr, NC. (link below)....
debo_2006
Leather Furniture Expo
I'm considering purchasing a sofa by Elite Leather,...
Jen44012
Need suggestions to soften my recliner
I bought a recliner from China, construction is fine...
biax
Sponsored Products
Emerald Green Glass Cabinet Knob
Signature Hardware
Hopson Sofa - Key Largo Ruby Red
Joybird Furniture
Garden District Mirror
Ballard Designs
Classic Lighting Corporation Warsaw Roman Bronze Nine-Light 22 Wide Chandelier
LuxeDecor
Ivory & Gray Shag Rug
$49.99 | zulily