How do I Deep Clean a Filthy Leather Sofa?

trofywifeNovember 20, 2009

I purchased a used leather sofa off Craigslist last week. The sofa appeared a little dirty so I started cleaning it with some leather wipes. That did absolutely nothing. So I decided to try a Magic Eraser. The Magic Eraser had amazing results. The leather ended up being dirtier than I thought. The results could have been used on a commercial. The sofa is FILTHY. Now I am worried that maybe a Magic Eraser on leather wasn't such a good idea. Is it okay to finish cleaning the entire sofa with the eraser or should I switch to a leather cleaner or something else. I have never found a leather cleaner that actually deep cleans. The leather is a light tan and I believe it has a protective coating. It's a FlexSteel sofa, so I think it's a decent quality leather.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kateskouros

considering it came from someone else's home i'd call a pro.

Bookmark   November 20, 2009 at 9:19PM
catz1

Nope, disagree . finish with the eraser and then condition and protect w/ some kind of oil or wax. It's from craigs list. Professional cleaning will cost as much as the sofa.

Bookmark   last Friday at 10:32PM
lascatx

Don't go too heavy with the magic eraser -- you could take the finish off the leather. I'ts possible the previous owner already did that or used something that damaged it and that is why dirt stuck to it so, I've got a 12 yr old leather sectional that survived 2 teen boys and all their friends, many family gatherings with other kids, DH coming in from working in the yard and a couple of large dogs who were not always caught at the door when they had been in the pool or dirt and it doesn't have anything like that kind of dirt on it. You may not be able to see or tell if the protective coating comes off,but if you get past the finish of the leather itself, you may get a change in texture or color. Leather can be refinished and redyed, but that may not be an expense you want to add to a CL sofa.

I would work with the magic eraser and a leather cleaner, then condition it very well.

Bookmark   last Saturday at 4:12PM
SaltiDawg

Lots of automotive leather seat cleaners out there. I use Zaino's cleaner and protector. Works great.

Bookmark   Yesterday at 1:13PM
PRO
V-Dub Furniture Store In Arizona

I am using magic eraser. It work great you can also try this.

Bookmark   21 hours ago
More Discussions
Couch identity help
Where can I find a similar couch(shape wise)? http://www.neodecodesigns.com/images/portfolio_images/trendybluecontemporary/6.JPG...
Sangeetha Selvaraj
sectional sofa help
we're in the market for a sectional for our basement...
lmgch
Slats or Boxspring?
Like the title says: Slats or Boxspring to support...
pbx2
Rove concepts
Hi: I was wondering if anyone has heard about Rove...
chitra0828
the Sealy Posturepedic 'Belmont' from Costco?
Hello-- Has anyone out there purchased the Sealy Posturepedic...
lenvt
Sponsored Products
Hancock Tufted Distressed Brown Italian Chesterfield Leather Sofa
Overstock.com
Florence Style Loft Leather Loveseat in Black
$749.00 | LexMod
Kartell | Pop Sofa with Cotton
YLighting
Barnside Small Sofa, Chair, Ottoman, End Table & Pillow Set
$2,699.99 | zulily
Asher 87" modern sofa
Interior Define