Polyurethane Upholstery Quality?

hgvhjkhjhgNovember 13, 2010

Is polyurethane upholstery on kitchen chairs prone to splitting open with regular use?

Although this material is much cheaper than leather, what are the bad things about polyurethane upholstery?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
patricialane

No, polyurethane upholstery on kitchen chairs or anywhere else is not prone to splitting open with regular use. It's a very durable material.

You're probably thinking of PVC. PVC oils from plasticizers migrate to the upholstery leaving it brittle and causing it to crack and peel. Polyurethane doesn't have these oils, and hence doesn't have the issue with splitting.

This is called "Key Selling Points," but I think you'll find it helpful

http://asint2.ki.com/prod/pkb/pkb.nsf/113c13b71d41aebf86256e68005c904a/7a9da4e774e74be7862576f9005abe04/$FILE/P201006_Polyurethane_Upholstery.pdf

A negative might be cost relative to PVC. PVC is generally considered to be less beneficial for the environment/health, although the extent to which that is true is debatable.

See this:

"Urethane upholstery is made in a process similar to expanded PVC. However the softness of the urethane is controlled by the amount of cross-linking sites built into the polymer and the degree of cross-linking achieved by catalyst level added to the compound. The solvents used in manufacture still have to be incinerated but there is no plasticizer used so it causes no migration and hardening and cracking problems. However, this material can be relatively much more expensive; usually the price point for this type of material is $20-$30 per yard, depending on weight and backing type."

http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20090068412

Patricia

Bookmark   November 14, 2010 at 9:41PM
More Discussions
AL Comfort Sleeper worth the price?
I'm considering purchasing a sectional with a sleeper...
virtualanne
Leathercraft recliner, electric vs manual?
Any opinions, or recommendations? Thanks
greandog
Is using natural latex foam for sofa seat cushions going overboard?
I know this must seem like an odd question, but 100%...
texasgal47
Recommendation for high-end modern Asian furniture?
Aside from Berkeley Mills in Berkeley, CA, does anyone...
Cam Chan
Rove concepts
Hi: I was wondering if anyone has heard about Rove...
chitra0828
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™