Advice!! To move the TV or not to move the TV?

AlvanNovember 30, 2012

Hello! I posted this question a couple of weeks ago and had some good advice, but I am about to give the official "no go" for the moving of the TV/Console and I just want one last vote before I do close the door...any thoughts?

Question...We have installed our tv centered on the wall as it begins from our door to the other wall-basically you look at the wall and it is centered there. BUT-the TV is not centered on the light fixture or the coffers above. My question is-should be do a costly move of the TV (@$1000) to center it on the light or just allow the to float below. If the TV is centered on the light and coffers it will mean that when you look up it will be aligned but on the wall slightly skewed. ALso, the furniture would have to move over closer to the front door and I worry it will look too cluttered as I was going to try to make a seperate sitting area at the end of the room in the new space added by sliding everything down. Regardless, I will be adding some art to the wall either in single large pieces or a cluster-If I move the TV I will have room for some sort of small hanging on the left of the TV and would need a larger pic or grouping to the right.
Which is more important? Being aligned with ceiling coffers/light or the wall?

This post was edited by Alvan on Thu, Dec 13, 12 at 18:34

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
john_wc

I would center the TV on the viewing/seating area.

Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 2:33PM
Alvan

Thanks for the reply. DO you mean I should leave the TV where it is (centered on the wall), slightly misaligned with the light and coffers and just make sure the furniture is aligned with the TV? THX!

Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 2:37PM
john_wc

Yes.

And I say this as a man who has a pathological need for symmetry but in this case, the TV trumps the light fixture.

Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 3:14PM
Alvan

Thank you so much for your input. My preference of course would be to have light, TV, coffers, everything line up, but we did an expansion of this room during construction and unfortunately the coffers and light placement didn't get adjusted to reflect the change. I'm pathological about symmetry too so this question has been nagging me. I think once I fill in around the tv it won't look so vast on either side and my eye win't keep trying to make a connection b/w the tv and light. Thanks for the advice!

Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 3:41PM
More Discussions
the Sealy Posturepedic 'Belmont' from Costco?
Hello-- Has anyone out there purchased the Sealy Posturepedic...
lenvt
AL Comfort Sleeper worth the price?
I'm considering purchasing a sectional with a sleeper...
virtualanne
Furniture help
Hello My boyfriend and I just moved in and we really...
Penny Dimitrakaki
Leather Furniture Expo
I'm considering purchasing a sofa by Elite Leather,...
Jen44012
Flexsteel vs. Lane vs. Natuzzi leather sectionals
I'm pretty confused and hoping for some solid comparisons...
tuckerlr
Sponsored Products
Campania International Tea Time Frog Cast Stone Garden Statue - A-398-AL
$44.99 | Hayneedle
SMV Anvil Pruner Multicolor - GAP-8SC
$14.99 | Hayneedle
Flow Wall Racks 1-Bike Horizontal Bike Rack Set in Silver/Clear FWS-4812-1SC-30
$79.99 | Home Depot
Red Leaves Living Room Tiffany Floor Lamp
ParrotUncle
Ampersand Decor
| Dot & Bo
Indoor Ceiling Fans and Light: Hampton Bay Larson 52 in. White Ceiling Fan AL420
$89.97 | Home Depot
Campania International Pisa Cast Stone Bird Bath - B-054-AL
$109.99 | Hayneedle
NuTone 36 in. Extension Downrod Brown DR36BR
$23.25 | Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™