make sofa more comfy

shadeyNovember 12, 2010

Hi,

My couch is pleasing to the eye and comfortable for me, but my husband finds that the back is too straight (goes straight up -- almost 90 degree angle on the back) and the cusions stick out a bit far so he can't really sink in.

It was pricey and I like it ... but I gotta make it work for hubby. Can I have the cusions remade in a wedge form or something to make it more comfy? Would I talk to an upholster about this?

Thanks,

Shadey

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Moccasin

Shadey, I have a sofa with sort of a similar back. It came with pretty large 26 x 26 (Euro) style loose cushions. They overlapped each other a bit. What I did was to order 20x20 softer cushions with zip-off covers so that the back was softer.

I think a wedge shape would be firmer and not give the kind of look YOU like, nor would it give the comfortable sink-into feeling that your DH is looking for. Here is a shot of the sofa we have, sort of a British West Indies style. I like it because I can whip off those covers and wash them, and I can also make easy slip covers for myself.

In this pic, I had a blanket on the bottom cushion because of our two small dogs. That bench style cushion also zips off for washing, and is the same fabric as the back cushions.

Bookmark   November 12, 2010 at 10:13PM
More Discussions
Kitchen Table Repair
Hi. My kitchen table has a crack in it and I was wondering...
marc83
trundle bed/daybed questions
My mom is giving me the trundle bet frame and mattresses...
cindywhitall
Couch for Big and Tall Guy
What suggestions would you all offer on what to look...
happs
What happens to returned furniture
We recently received a living room furniture and one...
madness76
Who Are Reputable Made In America/North American Furniture Companies?
I am looking for great-room/living room furniture for...
mothersnood
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™