A 'Happy' New Year.... Leaving the Old Behind

lulie___wayneJanuary 1, 2007

I hestitate to use the word "happy", but I would like to wish all of you a new year filled with peace and hope for a better year. I've gotten a little behind responding to many of the posts, but I've been trying to catch up. Since my DH and I are retired now, we are gone a lot and I tend to get behind. You'd think that I'd have more time, but my days are usually filled.

When I was freshly (first few years) grieving, I always hated to leave the old year behind and begin a new one. I felt as if as more time passed, I was going further from my loved one or where my loved one was. Has anyone else felt the same?

Lu

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sudiepav

I, too, wish everyone peace and hope for 2007. I am starting to be able to give up the years. I know the when the first January came after our loss, I felt so sad thinking that "last year my boy was alive". And you're right, each year brings more distance; somethimes that's good, and sometimes it's sad. For instance, yesterday was the 4th anniversary of the last time we saw our son and granddaughter, although we talked to them on the phone many times after that. It makes me sad to think that 4 years have passed, but I find as time goes on, things get better and we learn to cope in a stronger fashion.

Bookmark   January 2, 2007 at 12:15PM
alisande

The first year, I was so glad to see 2001 go. I'd hated writing it on my checks, typing it on my letters, just seeing it in print. But at the same time I reacted badly when the seasons changed. In the past I'd loved the four seasons, especially spring and fall. Once I began to grieve, the changing seasons just emphasized my pain somehow. I'm almost over that, but I don't know if it will ever disappear completely.

Susan

Bookmark   January 2, 2007 at 11:26PM
lulie___wayne

I was stuck in 1998. Christin left in that year and it's like time stopped for me. It seemed that even a year or two after 98 had passed, I would still sometimes write "1998" on checks etc.
Lu

Bookmark   January 3, 2007 at 10:58AM
More Discussions
Sudden Witnessed Death of Spouse
I am new to this forum. I found this site after Google...
jcsgirl2012
Horrible images of my bellowed brother
Three weeks ago I lost my beloved kid brother to a...
BigSister17
When the greiving begins before death
My mother and I kept my grandmother at home, she went...
cherig22
Losing Someone to Suicide
I once had a roommate, call her Yvonne, who was bi-polar; when...
sylviatexas1
i have never felt so alone lost and frightened
i too lost my husband. he was 37 when he passed. due...
BewilderedShock
Sponsored Products
Chrome 8 Diameter Round Rainshower Shower Head & Wall Mounted Arm
Hudson Reed
Autumn Breeze Brushed Nickel One Light Wall Sconce
$90.00 | Bellacor
Dixie Seating 3 pc. Spindle Rocking Chair Set with Side Table - Black - 467/1618
$459.00 | Hayneedle
Maximus Flood Lights 5.5 in. White LED Dimmable Track Lighting Flood Head TL03D
$39.97 | Home Depot
Virginia Wood Tone and Bronze Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Fez Upholstered Chair
FRONTGATE
Larson Cocoa Brown Sofa,Loveseat and Chair
Overstock.com
Stilo Bronze One-Light Incandescent 120v Mini Pendant with Flat Canopy and Cord
$157.50 | Bellacor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™