What are the pitfalls?

gandbbOctober 21, 2005

At long last, I am going to be a first time grandma. There must be some obvious pitfalls - what to say, buy, do or not say,buy do etc.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
adellabedella_usa

Don't do something for the first grandchild, that you can't do for the rest.

Bookmark   October 23, 2005 at 4:56PM
londondi

I agree with AdellaBedella. My mother-in-law started to needlepoint christmas stockings for her early grand children. My oldest 2 daughers received them, but by the time our youngest came, she had too many to do, so she stopped. My youngest really felt left out. Fortunately, my mom smocked all of the girls Christmas stockings, so those were the ones we used. To be fair, my mother-in-law now has 34 grandchildren, and 6 great grand children. My youngest daughter was #11. She stopped early in the game.

Bookmark   October 24, 2005 at 1:11AM
gandbb

Good Point. I was thinking about setting up a college fund, but I certainly couldn't do that if more come along. My daughter may have a second child and that would have been manageable, but I forgot that I still have a son at home who hasn't even started dating.

Bookmark   October 24, 2005 at 12:03PM
Vickey__MN

Don't get into the habit of always buying them things, think more of "making memories" than buying things. We do lots of projects (Bailey is 3 now and we do crafts and bake cookies often). I don't remember much my grandparents bought for me, but I remember going to the zoo with my grandma (she did a sommersault when she was in her 60's, and I remember craft projects with my other Grandma). That's what I want to give my grandkids..memories.

Vickey-MN

Bookmark   October 24, 2005 at 5:53PM
lindac

Memories are good....but so is buying things! It's a grandma's great pleasure to buy a grand child something his heart desires but it totally impractical and expensive.
I remember my oldest was pining for Air Jordans....but my daughter said they didn't need to spend $75 on new tennsi shoes ( that tells you how long ago that was!).
I told him I would buy him any tennis shoes he wanted ( he was about 8).....and we ended up spending about $50 on something very different.
I remember taking my grand daughter shopping and to lunch.....and we ate hot fudge sundaes for lunch....because when you are with Grandma you can do anything.....and another time when I was staying with my son's 3 boys for about 5 days.....and we went to Mc Donalds for dinner every night, and swimming afterward....because we could.
Another time I told the twins I didn't know what they wanted for their birthdays....and they told me a list of miscalleanous stuff.....and I suggested a shopping trip and I would allow them to spend each a certain amount...
So we went to Toys R Us ...their choice and I spent a generous amount....but it was very interesting...some toys they agreed to get to share....but other things they weren't about to share. One wanted a fairly nice watch $20 LOL! but the other didn't want any such thing.
It was a lesson in what to share and really thinking about whay you want.
So giving them things can be good, but so can baking cookies, making any kind of pizza you want.....even peanut butter and marshmallow.
Also know that grandmas get older.....and while you could have turned summersaults with one 15 years later you may no longer to be able to do that.
Just enjoy!
Linda C

Bookmark   October 25, 2005 at 11:30AM
More Discussions
My grandbaby doesnt want to come to me any more
He Is 13 months. I have always taken care of him once...
Nanisue
My Grandparents made me the man I am today!
Unlike most who post in this section, I am not a grandparent...
AllFiredUp
Thoughts about boundaries issues
It has been an incredible blessing, and a difficult...
elisa_z5
Thoughts about jealousy of the other grandparent(s)
As I mentioned in my other "thoughts on"...
elisa_z5
Sad Grandmother
I am brand new to this site and posting to this forum....
Nana3540
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™