Teresa_mn growing ginger?

PattyPeterson2208February 4, 2013

I would like to grow some ginger and have a few Q. Did you just plant a knob of root in the garden or start it in a pot? How long does it have to grow before you can use it and do you have to did up the whole plant to harvest the tuber? How big does it get and are the leaves ornamental? Could you please post a photo? Thank you I know you are starting your remodeling and very busy. Patty

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Teresa_MN

Patty - I bought two ginger plants at the Farmer's Market. However, my friend Loretta has been growing it for several years. Her Hmong DIL selected some roots at the grocery store and planted them. They take about 8 to 10 months to harvest. But once the plant gets growing it just keeps on going. I harvested one of the plants to share with friends and brought the other in for the winter.

Outdoors they prefer filtered light. Mostly mine were in the shadow of some tomato plants on my deck. Toward the end of the season as the tomato foliage thinned the ginger was getting more sun. Some of the foliage turned brown.

I am at home sick today and I cannot find a photo. I did post one on another thread here recently. I can't remember which thread. Does anyone else remember?

Teresa

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 12:06PM
Teresa_MN

I just remembered I had photos on my phone. Here is one plant looking a little ragged toward the end of the season.

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 12:16PM
publickman

Check out the ginger forum for additional information. I have ginger plants in my back yard, but they are ornamental and I grow them for the flowers. The ones I have get to be about five feet high (so far). The blue ginger only gets to be about 3-4 feet high.

A lot of ginger flowers are very fragrant, and you can cut them to bring them inside and they will make a nice fragrance in your house.

Lars

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 1:27PM
Teresa_MN

The Ginger Forum ....... who knew? I checked it out. Apparently not many people know. It's not a very active place as many of the posts are from 2007. There are newer posts also. But it's not like the info provided on growing the plant is going to change.

This summer I will have at least 4 large pots of ginger. I hope to make gingerale. I gave a co-worker some ginger last fall. She made gingerale and it was delicious!

This post was edited by teresa_mn on Tue, Feb 5, 13 at 14:11

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 1:47PM
lyndaluu2

Wow what a great idea!!
I'm growing ginger for sure this summer.

Linda

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 2:21PM
PattyPeterson2208

Lars what is the difference in the blue ginger and is that also for cooking? Patty

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 2:53PM
More Discussions
Not your average refrig contents....
Tartine bakery is one of the local San Francisco icons:...
jakkom
BISCUITS
Just made these biscuits, but felt they weren't worth...
Robert Givens
Another Record: $4.235 Per Pound for Ground Beef
I read this headline in a recent cnsnews.com article....
grainlady_ks
Waterlogue app
Photo of vegetables for tonight's dinner run through...
bbstx
What to do with fermented green tomaotes?
We have more than a lifetime's worth of fermented green...
matthias_lang
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™