grandparents custudy

j.l mullSeptember 19, 2001

i can;t see a life without my boys my daughter is on drugs she drinks 7 days a week i have had my boys from birth they are 5 & 12 years she hasnt helped support them ever! i cant go for child support;in fear the state will take from me and give them to her. my boys have diffrent fathers.she has had 2 husbonds a lot of shack-ups!! i love my boys so very much i cant see my life without them.with her they would go threw pure hell. i dont know what to do! the promises she makes to them are so many but she never goes threw with any of them! our laws have got to change somewhere.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I think you're wrong--if you're the one who's been supporting them, if she's as unfit as you say, it's very possible you could get legal custody. My sister and her boyfriend have been raising a couple of children who were abandoned by their parents about 6 years ago. Without legal custody or birth certificates, they've been able to register the kids for school AND to get them covered by the state health insurance for kids whose families can't afford it. Just took a little determination and fast talking on their part.

To be on the safe side, call your county bar association, explain your problem and ask to speak to a lawyer who is experienced in child custody cases and who might consider taking your case pro bono. Or, if you qualify, go to legal aid. I know a social worker who says it's easy to get actual custody in a case like this.

Good luck to you. They're lucky to have you looking out for them.

    Bookmark   September 19, 2001 at 3:59PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Get in touch with AARP. They have a group that helps grandparents with grandchild problems. They just might be able to help you here. go to

good luck

    Bookmark   September 23, 2001 at 4:16PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I agree with Barbara - we just got "temporary" custody of our 2 grandchildren - 3 and 5 - we had been pretty much raising them and when our daughter got her 6th DUI we said enough - the children's father has now moved back into the area and has not supported them for quite a while...supposedly he is trying to get his life together but he has a drug problem too. We found an attorney and both our daughter and her husband agreed that the children were better off with us now - of course, she vehemently disagrees now, but she will have to take us back to court in order to win back custody. The children are on medicaid and that was not a problem either....Good Luck, you shouldn't have a big problem winning this one.

    Bookmark   October 3, 2001 at 1:43PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Great ways to bond with your grandchildren
What are fun activities that do you do to bond with...
Gift ideas for 50th Wedding Anniversary
I need some gift ideas for my elderly (75+) difficult-to-buy-for...
Grandson...Here, But I Miss Him!
I feel very sad because my almost 7 year old grandson...
Thoughts about jealousy of the other grandparent(s)
As I mentioned in my other "thoughts on"...
Daughter's messy house...
My daughter and SIL have 2 beautiful children that...
Sponsored Products
Cream & Brown 'Grandparent Rules' Wall Sign
$32.99 | zulily
Cream & Brown Grandparents Like You Wall Sign
$17.99 | zulily
Modern Ash Wood Rocker in Mustard
$159.99 | Dot & Bo
Nana and Papa Indoor Mat
Modern Ash Wood Rocker in Fuchsia
$159.99 | Dot & Bo
Modern Ash Wood Rocker in Black
$159.99 | Dot & Bo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™