Flooring options in unheated space

crg1641June 23, 2008

We need to replace the flooring in a small guest cabin at our lake property. The current floors are tile, (likely vinyl asbestos, so we don't want to remove it) Because there is quite a bit of sand in the area, I'd like a hard surface that sweeps up easily. Although it is a small space--less than 600 sf--it is unheated, and the temperature in the winter drops below freezing. The walls and ceiling are knotty pine, so I'm shying away from a wood floor. I think it would feel like being inside a packing crate. Any suggestions for a reasonably-priced floor? Not interested a a DIY project.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glennsfc

More tile perhaps? VCT tile (vinyl composition) is what you will find in most supermarkets and some department stores. It is inexpensive, durable and comes in a vast array of color choices. Maintenance is floor polish on a cleaned surface to prevent staining of the tile (no big deal).

I did two such cabins for customers and both were successful. One was an Armstrong product called Designer II Solarian sheet vinyl (no longer available) and the other was an LVT (laminated vinyl tile) that was adhered to the wooden substrate with an epoxy flooring adhesive.

The Designer Solarian went over a genuine linoleum floor that had been in service in that cabin for thirty or more years and showed absolutely no effects from the freeze/thaw cycle. So, genuine linoleum might be something for you to consider. That also would require some maintenance on your part (floor polish or dressing on occasion).

Bookmark   June 25, 2008 at 9:36AM
More Discussions
Install carpet over laminate flooring?
I am buying a house that has laminate wood flooring...
rlb4
Wood to tile
What types of transition pieces can be used on a slab?...
ourgeorgiahouse
Chinese Hardwood Flooring - After Lumber Liquidators & 60 Minutes
Wondering how folks are now feeling about buying imported...
Ken Fisher
Matte or shiny hardwood floors...what's your preference?
We are going to sand and refinish our floors. What...
jtaime2
3/8 vs 1/2 inch thick engineered hardwood for staple down installation
We are trying to decide between two similar engineered...
chellefnp
Sponsored Products
Cal Lighting Posita Brushed Steel Floor Lamp
$148.50 | LuxeDecor
Taupe Medium Underbed Storage Box
$12.99 | zulily
Westbury Cream Burlap Shade Brass Swing Arm Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Osso Floor Lamp by SONNEMAN Lighting
$750.00 | Lumens
Fall Day Water Guard Doormat
Home Decorators Collection