Concrete floor in winter?

GAinWMJune 10, 2012

I am in the process of choosing new flooring for my lower level family room. My house is a bi-level (raised ranch) in West Michigan. The carpet needs to be replaced, but after a recent sump pump failure, I am nervous about putting in a floor that can be destroyed by water. I have been researching acid-stained concrete which is appealing to my eye, but I am wondering how comfortable this would be in the winter. Does anyone have experience with a concrete floor in a living area during the winter? Also, what about scratching from dogs and cats? Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_kaiser_gw

It's going to feel cold. Go outside on a 55 degree day and stand on concrete in your bare or stocking feet and you'll have a idea of what a concrete floor in your basement will feel like.

There's some great options for stamped concrete. Something like this might look really sharp in a basement - the appearance of wood with the durability of concrete. Add some area rugs to provide comfort but those can still be taken up and cleaned if the need arises.

If you're going to finish a basement, a backup sump pump in always a wise investment.

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 2:45PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
GAinWM

Thanks for your response Mike. We had a backup sump pump. Last year I had the laundry room finished with toilet, sink, shower and the plumber made some assumptions about the type of pump we had. He didn't check to see if his assumptions were correct unfortunately. He should have installed a grinder pump, I found out a little too late.

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 3:55PM
More Discussions
Brazilian Teak floor typical characteristics... or defects?
I just received shipment of Brazilian teak floors....
klpenton
Redoing '80's bedroom/bathroom/hallway and looking for flooring ideas
Purchasing a house with wall to wall blue carpet in...
daimonium
Need help open area flooring (great room, kitchen).
Hello, please help. I am looking for flooring that...
einajr
trying to figure out vinyl vs wood laminate Help !
I am new to using anything other than real wood......
roksee
What clear finish to put on hardwood flooring?
I recently bought a home with the entry way being hardwood...
obrionusa
Sponsored Products
George Kovacs Chrome Dome LED Pharmacy Floor Lamp
Euro Style Lighting
Armen Living Halo Backless Bar Stool - Red - 30 in. - LC4050BARE30
$179.99 | Hayneedle
BEGA | LED Garden and Pathway Bollard - 7330
$467.00 | YLighting
Fairmont Designs Belleair Beach 48" Vanity - High-gloss White
Modern Bathroom
Chestnut E27 Glass Pendant Lighting
ParrotUncle