confused

grammy2000August 27, 2012

I am the grammy of 3 ... ages 12,8, and 6. We can't do anything for one without doing for the other two. I love them all dearly. There have been times when we asked if we could have the two oldest ones to go to an amusement park,, and were denied because it wouldn't be "fair". Not saying that we wouldn't have done something special with the youngest one at a different time. To furthur explain, one of us would have been at the kiddy rides with the youngest, and one with the two older ones at the more advanced rides. This was supposed to be a family outing, not split up. Does anyone else have issues like this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
emma

I read an article one time about grand parents having grandchildren over. It suggested you have one at a time so the two of you will really bond. If you bring all of them they just play together. I sounded great to me, but when the first 2 grand children came over I mentioned it to the mother and her reaction was the same as you experienced. I didn't follow through, but I wished I had. The children would realize their time would come and it would be special.

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 10:53AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jollyrd

I read the same suggestion - take one kid at a time so that you can bond and give the kid undivided time -- and that was an advice given for the parents. The idea is that kids struggle for attention, who gets more, who gets less of it, who does mommy/daddy love more, etc. And the suggestion was for each parent to take one kid and spend one day/few hours once a month with that one kid only -- doing only things that kid likes, etc. Then rotate the kid/parent pair.

Short sum - revisit the idea with the parents. But be clear that you will do this every once a week/month for each kid.

Bookmark   January 25, 2013 at 11:17PM
More Discussions
My grandbaby doesnt want to come to me any more
He Is 13 months. I have always taken care of him once...
Nanisue
Uninterested Grandparents
I'm becoming more and more troubled by the behavior...
iarsk
Grandma to be
I just found out 2 weeks ago that I am going to be...
Irishmama2
Sad Grandmother
I am brand new to this site and posting to this forum....
Nana3540
can't see one grandkid, must take them all or none. what?!
My daughter and 2yo granddaughter moved in with me...
Tired_of_this
Sponsored Products
Punkt. DP 01 DECT Landline Phone - Punkt.
$299.00 | HORNE
Jive Highback Office Chair in Terracotta
$199.00 | LexMod
Claesson Koivisto Rune w081t1 Table Lamp by Wastberg
$675.00 | Lumens
Set of Six Steak Grill Charms
$9.95 | FRONTGATE
Milano Provincial Gold Single Wall Sconce
Lamps Plus
Mercer Street White Six-Light Large Round Drum Pendant
$404.00 | Bellacor
Pawleys Island Porch Swings Black Textured Large Steel Swing Stand SWSLBK