I miss my Pal, best friend, Father.

CaBritJanuary 31, 2005

My father died 21 years ago when I was 19. We lived together (my Mother had split up with him) and I stayed with him. Time helps but it doesn't heal. I still find it terribly difficult to talk about it all, and when I do find someone who I can open up to ... they seem to just fade away. He died a horrible death (as if there could be a good one !!) from Cancer. I miss him terribly, and wish he could see the things I have achieved and done. He was my Teacher at school until I was 17. In many ways far more than just a Father. I love hime dearly.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Leogirl

I'm so sorry for the pain you still are experiencing. How did you deal with your loss at the time it happened? I wonder if you didn't deal with it at all and maybe that is why it still hurts so much? I really can't say, just a thought. If that is the case you may need counseling to help you and you may have to approach it as if it just happened? Regardless, I hope you find your peace somehow. My Dad died 8 years ago from the complications of Alzheimer's and, like cancer, that is a horrible, horrible ending. By the time of his death he couldn't communicate with us, couldn't eat, couldn't do anything but lay there and make a constant noise that I can't even describe. My husband's death was sudden and unexpected and I have to say that I am glad he didn't suffer for long if at all. I just had a thought: why don't you see if in your community there is a bereavement group that meets. Usually there is a contact and you could maybe call and see if they think it would be ok for you to come even though it has been a while since your loss. After all, there really is no end to a loss, is there? It's pretty much there forever. Good luck to you -

Bookmark   January 31, 2005 at 4:03PM
lulie___wayne

I can certainly understand the pain still being there even after 21 years. I just don't feel that it is abnormal. When we love someone so very much, it's so hard to live without them. I think it's especially hard if our memories are tainted with horrible circumstances surrounding their deaths. My 19 year old daughter was killed senselessly trying to save a dog's life and my mom left us this past June 3 from an Alzheimer's related trauma. My life will never be the same and I'm sure that even after 21 years I will still feel the sting.
You are not alone. This is one of my many pictures of my precious daughter, Christin.
Lu

Here is a link that might be useful: Christin Cosby Memorial Web Site

Bookmark   January 31, 2005 at 8:47PM
luvsgrtdanes

You are not alone. My mother died almost 20 years ago of pancreatic cancer, I was only 24 with 2 small boys. We were very very close. I think sometimes when certain things happen in our lives we miss them more. I still have a terrible ache for my mom to this day that will never go away. I lost my dad a year 1/2 ago and watched the strongest man I know suffer.
On Thanksgiving this year we lost our 12 year old nephew to a drunk driver and I realized something, that if you love someone the pain is the same at any age. Without grief we don't know love and I think that is a good thing, to know you were loved and that you loved back is most important of all.
This is a good site to post your feelings you are not alone.
Take care, Ronnie

Bookmark   February 1, 2005 at 4:13PM
More Discussions
When the greiving begins before death
My mother and I kept my grandmother at home, she went...
cherig22
Loss of my Precious son
Today marks one week that I lost my precious 22 year...
staciet129
How to live after the death of a spouse
Hope this might be helpful to some. 1 Before you move...
JoAnn_Fla
Giving Meaning to Life by Billy
Giving Meaning to Life by Billy, see link Here is a...
Konrad___far_north
sudden death of husband at 46 years of age
Hi...I stumbled upon this forum and felt compelled...
still_in_shock
Sponsored Products
Winston the Bulldog Planter
Grandin Road
Gallery Crystal Empire 6-light Chandelier
Overstock.com
24'' I Vintage Marquee Light
$139.99 | zulily
Monogram Correspondence Cards
$24.00 | Horchow
Mythos Red and Gray Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rug
$368.00 | Bellacor