'southwestern furniture'

peteralvin777November 6, 2009

Hello everybody,

I want to get some information about Sofa furniture, and what is the different between southwestern furniture And Other furniture? so someone provide me some information.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aballofwax

Southwestern Furniture is exactly as it sounds. The designs and styles are usually pulled from Native American cultures. If you've ever watched a John Wayne film,there is a good chance you've already seen every typical piece of southwestern furniture. The wicker rocking chairs on the front porch, heavy fabric couches with western designs, a lot of what a carpenter would call "rough cuts", meaning the pieces are designed from the start to look rustic, and hand made. If you take a typical dresser from New England, and place it side by side of an Arizona dresser the difference becomes immediately apparent. And in case you were wondering, Southwestern furniture is made with the same care and quality of "eastern" furniture. I Hope this helps:)

Here is a link that might be useful: A Ball of Wax

Bookmark   November 6, 2009 at 9:25AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
publickman

There is also Texas furniture, which may be a subcategory of SW furniture. It has a strong influence from Mexico, but still is its own distinctive style and frequently features longhorn head (not to mention actual horns), often stitched into headboards or sofa backs. Furniture made in Texas often uses native mesquite, cedar, or cypress. When I was little, we had a sofa that had half wagon wheels for arms and a longhorn head stitched into the back.

Lars

Bookmark   November 6, 2009 at 11:36AM
More Discussions
Restoration Hardware at a Discount??
I love the furniture from RH but it is way out of my...
pooky
Room&Board Cruz Chaise Lounge Cushion help
I would be forever grateful If anyone has a Cruz chaise...
missmaggs
Rowe Furniture: Good or Bad?
I've been reading lots of comments on this site (both...
country459
Flexsteel vs. Lane vs. Natuzzi leather sectionals
I'm pretty confused and hoping for some solid comparisons...
tuckerlr
Lexington chez michelle Bedroom Set - 7 piece
Hi, i am purchasing a used 7-piece Lexington chez michelle...
kathietang
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™