Pennsylvania House

jolynukNovember 14, 2009

We recently purchased a dining room set from PH through a Canadian department store. Upon delivery, I was dismayed to see Made In China stamped all over the set, and discover that it was a pre-fab set with assembly instructions much like IKEA. I wish I had come across this forum rather than relying on the misleading advertising on the company's website. Pennsylvania House is clearly no longer a manufacturer of furniture, and essentially a distributor.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
parma42

I believe Lazy Boy bought them out, a few years back.

Nuff said.

Bookmark   November 14, 2009 at 5:24PM
ginih

I believe Lazy Boy bought them out, a few years back.

Sure did. Then they laid off all the Pennsylvania House employees and closed the factory.

Bookmark   November 16, 2009 at 10:44PM
furnone

Universal Furniture bought the Pennsylvania House brand. It is all made in China now.

Bookmark   November 16, 2009 at 10:48PM
woodcutterron

Yea a lot of fine "old name" companies do the same thing. Unfortunately, they still ride on the trust built in the past and grossly overcharge for stuff that's only a step or two above Walmart quality.

You might consider finding a local craftsman to build you something custom. I've done things for people, on occasion for less than they were about to spend on Chinese crap sold in a once-good-name gallery store

Bookmark   November 22, 2009 at 8:57PM
lachase

Don't you just hate seeing that China stamp on everything? It so irritates me. The companies that use to stand for quality are now standing for greedy executives selling out jobs for lousy quality goods. Time after time you see problems with things made in China. I have been finding a few companies that are making their furniture in the US, but I've not found anything that I like yet. I read that some leather sofas from China were sprayed with a toxic fungicide and now some people have had breathing problems and severe burns from contamination. I am trying to avoid products from China, but it is very difficult to do.

Bookmark   November 24, 2009 at 12:07AM
trurizkt_msn_com

The state of Pennsylvania should sue Lazy boy and Universal Furniture for using the states name when it in fact is no longer produced in that state. Lazy boy just wanted to reduce its competitors by buying PA House, then it destroyed its name and quality.

Bookmark   August 1, 2011 at 9:01AM
More Discussions
the Sealy Posturepedic 'Belmont' from Costco?
Hello-- Has anyone out there purchased the Sealy Posturepedic...
lenvt
Leather Furniture Expo
I'm considering purchasing a sofa by Elite Leather,...
Jen44012
Durability of white leather
Will a white leather sofa discolor eventually no matter...
booyah053
Can you help me identify this furniture maker/designer?
I acquired this mid-century table and chairs. Looks...
Julie Fortier
Is using natural latex foam for sofa seat cushions going overboard?
I know this must seem like an odd question, but 100%...
texasgal47
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™